TC Air Cleaner

Discussion of TABC-related matters
SavannahDog

TC Air Cleaner

Post by SavannahDog » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:40 am

Hi Y'all, Recently I picked up a Original Air cleaner. Without tearing it up how do you get inside? What's inside?

Assuming it's a oil based filter how is it oiled?
Julian Carter
1948 MG TC
1952 Chevy Pickup
1967 Triumph TR4A
1970 Triumph GT6

stephen stierman

Re: TC Air Cleaner

Post by stephen stierman » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:48 am

It does not come apart, all crimped together! At the top where the louvers are located there is a 'steel wool' element that will trap rocks and large insects. You can clean it by dipping this top section in a pan of solvent and swilling it about, than reoiling with clean engine oil. There are a couple of articles in the technical section about taking the thing apart and fitting various modern elements inside the canister. I have done such and installed a disposable paper element that was originally fitted to Porsche 912 and a couple of other cars in mine.

Marv

Post by Marv » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:42 am

Go To http://www.tcmotoringguild.org and search for "MODIFYING A STOCK TC AIR CLEANER" by Joe Douglass. You will need to make one simple sheet metal bracket. Instructions are straight forward. You can then use throw away paper elements made by Purolator, Clark and others.

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:45 am

Motoring guild.org article will get you started, assuming it is an actual original air cleaner you have. There have been reproduction ones for 50+ years. Another link to look at is for converting a reproduction air cleaner here
http://www.mg-tabc.org/library/T-airfilter-2-K&N.htm

Also discussed here a few years back. You need to drill out some spot welds. Randomness of welds can be seen here in pic #2 and #4. Pics here show a genuine original air filter.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=437&p=1882&hilit=air+cleaner#p1882

One element I have not ever seen discussed is how/if a conversion effects the airflow out of the valve cover vent to air filter.

SavannahDog

Post by SavannahDog » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:55 pm

Thanks Fellows, That's what I needed.
Julian Carter
1948 MG TC
1952 Chevy Pickup
1967 Triumph TR4A
1970 Triumph GT6

Julian Evers

Post by Julian Evers » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:38 pm

If the air cleaner is indeed an original, the brown book has a diagram of what is inside and I strongly recommend you leave it well alone and put it on a shelf (where indeed mine is.) Then if you want a period look buy a repro (much simpler inside) and do the conversion to that. By the way, I have modern K&N fitted for normal driving, the rolling road people had a fit when they saw how the original strangled the air flow on my tweaked engine.

Best regards