TC identification

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Re: TC identification

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:34 am

To add a bit of information to this post: the owner sent me a picture of his Guarantee Plate with the odd XPJMI identifier. As it turns out the Guarantee Plate on his car is a reproduction with etched engine and chassis numbers, rather than stamped. Because of this I think it safe to say that XPJMI does not appear to have any meaning at all, expect perhaps as a case of mistaken identity.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:38 pm

That sounds about right, Tom.

Could be just about anything. Those XPJM engines had the engine ID tag in just about the same place as the XPAG of TC's. :wtf:

Replacement Guarantee plates are not uncommon, but I never understood why anybody would do that on a car, unless the original was missing.

An interesting article on spotting the XPJM.
http://www.mgccyregister.co.uk/itll-fit-an-mg-mate/

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:32 am

Flip-flopping on my last post, the owner has sent me a better picture of the engine tag in question, which does indeed read ".TYPE. X.P.J.M.I." I don't know what it means either. Apologies for being so dismissive!

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:38 am

Duncan - I have a car right now where a DPO cut a hole large enough for a heater hose thru the Guarantee plate, effectively ruining it - but I'm keeping it in place, for obvious reasons. I also bought a car on eBay a few years ago which was listed as a standard TD with non-matching engine; I bought it because I suspected it was a Mark II car with a switched Guarantee plate from an entirely other car. It was, and the engine was correct for the TD/C chassis I had to have a new plate made up with the correct chassis and engine numbers.

Tolm Lange
MGT Repair

timandgerda

Post by timandgerda » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:46 am

I have the same XPJMI plate on the TC I am currently restoring - haven't got to the engine yet though!

Rickwilson

Post by Rickwilson » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Tim,
looks like we have a mysterty on our hands. Nobody seems to know about this engine. It would be nice to know HOW and IF it differs from a XPJM.

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:14 am

If it was my car I would be interested in confirming it was the XPJM engine, by casting numbers on block. Also casting numbers on head. Engine ID tags can be switched around, for any number of reasons.

Rickwilson

Post by Rickwilson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Block casting number is 22500 , which I believe is a XPJM number

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:12 pm

Yes, that number is indeed a Morris or Wolseley 10, 1140cc. Later ones in the TC era were 24044.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

timandgerda

Post by timandgerda » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:59 am

My XPJMI block has casting number 24144 - any thoughts??

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:12 am

That's the correct casting number for a post-war 1140cc block.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

timandgerda

Post by timandgerda » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks Tom. If I wanted to build it as a 1250cc would the crank in this type of engine be ok?

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:16 am

Yes, I believe the stroke would be the same. I do NOT know about enlarging the cylinders to 1250; I have no experience in this.

I have been told that one can have the block ultrasound measured, to see how much meat there is, and whether, for instance, one would break through into a water passage by going +.100 on a normal XPAG. That might be a process that would be worth it for you. Or just buy an XPAG block.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

timandgerda

Post by timandgerda » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:20 am

Thanks Tom. We have ultrasound NDT at work so that would be no problem. I have a spare XPAG block but it came with no bearing caps so not much use at present.

Franz Tenbrock

Post by Franz Tenbrock » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:54 am

Hallo
i have bought a TA 1937 Number 1932 and the previous owner has said me the engine number, i looked in the internet an come to this thread.
I have bougt the car because it is wonderful.

So i have make some pictures today and i am interested in information
where can i look now for other information

What engine ist it TC ?

What kind of oil filter ist it? i get some filter crossland 405
Attachments
Label Motor.JPG
Ölpumpe.JPG
Ansaugtrakt.JPG
MG Plate.JPG
Motor.JPG
Best Regards
Franz

3D Print: CJR3 case for Lucas340, individual Titan-X spark plug holder, resin printed octagon hazzard light switch and some more,

cdrolshagen

Post by cdrolshagen » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:55 am

Rickwilson

Post by Rickwilson » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Hello Frantz

Your engine replacement tag says XPJMI, which is the same engine currently in my TC. It is a not a MG engine, although it is basically the same. It is a Morris-Wolseley engine. It is made from the same block casting as the XPAG MG engines. The XPJMI engines were 1140cc, while the XPAG engines were 1250cc. As I mentioned before it is basically the same as a MG XPAG but a little smaller in cc displacement and horsepower.

Regards
Rick Wilson

Franz Tenbrock

Post by Franz Tenbrock » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:06 pm

http://www.mg-tabc.org/special-files/how-to-be.pdf

In the pdf file i have found a lot of information, but the I behind is not really clear what it means, the XPJM engine seams to be different types...

today i take off the tank, i will see what new surprise will be there ;-)

My TA brings me a better english, reading and writing becomes better every day, great
Best Regards
Franz

3D Print: CJR3 case for Lucas340, individual Titan-X spark plug holder, resin printed octagon hazzard light switch and some more,

Rickwilson

Post by Rickwilson » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:39 am

Frantz

your TA appears to be fitted with a TC style air filter. I believe TA's had air filters with horizontal rather than vertical canisters. maybe someone on this thread will confirm or correct this assessment.

oil filter appears to be correct period type.

all MG accessories will correctly fit to your XPJM engine

Good luck with your TA

Rick Wilson

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:38 am

Franz - I am not sure I understand what you wish to know. The XPJM engine was an 1140cc engine used in Morris and Wolesley cars and vans, eventually developed into the XPAG engine (1250cc); because of the smaller bore the XPMG has lower HP as originally fitted. I noted in an earlier post that I did not know whether the XPJM engine could be bored out 3mm to 1250cc, but I would not be surprised if it could. The stroke is the same as the XPAG, so it presumably uses the same crankshaft.

Your car has been fitted with one of these engines, which is not surprising, since the original MPJG engines fitted to TAs were prone to develop cracks; I suspect that half the TA cars either have replacement MPJG engines, or have been fitted with XPAG engines. The only way you will be able to determine what has been done to your engine is by removing it and taking it apart - which i do NOT recommend, for obvious reasons. But all in all, seeing what I do, I would not be surprised to find that your engine has already been enlarged to XPAG dimensions.

Your engine is actually a very interesting engine! If you drive some else's TC, I believe you will find that your car has power at least equal to yours. This is because as I look carefully at your pictures I believe I see an aluminum cylinder head - a Laystall Lucas head - with its characteristic extended manifold-side ports. So with this lighter and higher-compression cylinder head your engine has clearly been modified to give more power, but how else and to what increase I cannot guess. Your engine has a number of non-standard features which lead me to believe that extensive work has been done: the non-standard water temperature sender, the non-standard bolt for the oil pressure line, and the breather nicely welded onto the side cover. The Laystall Lucas head is a desirable up-grade.

So my advice to you is to drive your car and as many other TA-TC cars you can, and compare. I suspect you will find that your car has as much - if not more - power than most other T-series cars you drive. Der Wagen ist toll und sehr gut erhalten. Sie sollten stolz sein!

Tom Lange
MGT Repair