Easy way to prime a TC oil pump

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Charley

Easy way to prime a TC oil pump

Post by Charley » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:29 am

While replacing the spring in the oil pressure relief valve on my TC, I left the pump without the old valve in place until the new one arrived. I didn't realize this could cause me to loose the oil pump prime. After considering the various suggestions, like packing the gears with Vaseline, etc., I decided to try a simpler approach. I have a vacuum pump I use to change the crankcase oil. That saves me the trouble and mess of draining under the car. It uses a tube you insert into the crankcase through the dip stick opening. I disconnected the feed line from the oil pump to the filter. That opening is about the same as the one for the dipstick so I inserted the vacuum tube, used a rag to block any leakage around the tube and began to pump up a vacuum. As soon as I saw oil starting to flow, I reconnected the oil line and the pump was primed. Thought I would share that. Next time I work on the oil pump, I'll try first to prevent the pump from loosing its prime.

EdCallo

Re: Easy way to prime a TC oil pump

Post by EdCallo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:37 am

I have always used STP to prime the pump. Is nice an thick so will stay in the pump and has a lot of zinc in it which our old cars like. Never had any issues getting a prime this way.

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:13 pm

I just "bleed" the system as you would brakes. Also fill the filter throuygh the top pipe and a small syringe.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Wed May 02, 2018 3:51 pm

Two methods have worked for me. First, the age-old practice of packing the pump gears with Vasoline. Also, removing the oil line fitting from the top of the pump and pouring some oil into the pump body through there.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Thu May 03, 2018 8:12 am

From ttypes.org/tt2

"Having ‘primed’ the oil pump on my rebuilt, early engine by removing the oil delivery pipe, putting a funnel full of oil into the hole and rotating it in top gear whilst pushing the car backwards (as the pump hadn’t been coated with Vaseline), when I eventually started it up it the gauge immediately showed 70+ pounds per square inch of
pressure."

That is the technique i used. Easy. Use the same oil as you put in engine.