TC Rear Brakes and Hubs

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Tom Lange, MGT Repair

TC Rear Brakes and Hubs

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Tue May 15, 2018 3:27 am

I've been workikng on a long-dormant TC, where the rear brakes were - as almost always - soaked with differential oil. Unfortunately, the axle shafts had already been welded to the hubs, and the axles themselves had a dangerous bit of twist where they seat in the spider gears. I got a replacement set of tapered axles and hubs (already assembled) from Bob Grunau, and they are superb!

I got the other parts I needed from Abingdon Spares, Doug Pelton of From the Frame Up and Roger Furneaux in the UK, including a set of the bearing housing nuts with integral oil seal to keep things dry. Doug's very helpful assembly video made sure that the spacing was right, and everything bolted right up. The only thing I did that he did not mention was to lubricate the nut seal with a little grease, to prevent start-up burning of the seal.

The axles and hubs are beautiful work, and the tapered design should keep things dry. Thank you, gentlemen!

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: TC Rear Brakes and Hubs

Post by Steve Simmons » Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 am

I installed a set of Bob's axles, hubs and sealed nuts in TC8975 about 30,000 miles ago. Not a drop of oil has escaped yet. The hubs came pre-installed. I don't recall if Bob supplied the sealed bearings with all the other parts but I installed a set at the same time. This is one of those things I consider mandatory for anyone who wants to actually drive their car. Worrying about when your next axle will break is not something I want to deal with. I highly recommend Bob's oversized front spindles as well, for the same reason.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Norman Tuck

Re: TC Rear Brakes and Hubs

Post by Norman Tuck » Tue May 15, 2018 10:36 am

I did what Steve S. did, and agree with him about the both the half shafts and spindles.
However, my right side axle still leaked after the installation, but now seems to have fixed itself??? I neglected to grease the oil seal.

Norman