Moss seats for TC

Discussion of TABC-related matters
frenchblatter

Re: Moss seats for TC

Post by frenchblatter » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:37 pm

I spent 3 months applying saddle soap each morning to my seats (after a good clean). However after colouring them in the correct shade the back rest was tearing where you put your left hand on the top roll when you get in. I got a new set of covers from NTG but had to apply Gliptone dye which they made to match Topm Wilsons interior.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

ian theobald

Post by ian theobald » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:08 pm

From what I have seen ,nothing really matches original leather hides today as I ,m sure the tanning process is different to how was originally done and leather seems much softer .
Not sure if it has anything to do with vegetable tanned hides way back then .
I was lucky to pick up a 2nd hand Moss Kit from an overseas owner who decided to go for a different colour and seem happy with what I have but kit was missing one rear side panel but managed to purchase some hidem and will replicate my self.
Leather seat kit and trim came to $1000 .Had I paid $999 would of dodged the $300 import duty I got slugged
A local boot repairer has an old hand machine that can sew through thin board as most upholstery places wont do this .
With photos the colour seems to vary depending on light conditions so can never be sure of accuracy but where I live have no other car close by to compare anyway.
My TC is a very late 49 model and the one question I have is the backing board behind the seat.
My board had a large cut out for the transmission tunnel so that the bottom of the seat rested on the floor but when fitting the leather over the seat the kit had a smaller cut out and there was not enough material to tack around the top Hopefully I can fill in with another piece of board but cannot notice when the seat is fitted.
The seat now sits on top of the transmission tunnel resting on the material in the curved section.
I have seen some pictures somewhere of a seat back that had an extra section at the bottom presumably to lift the seat of the tunnel.???
My seat bases have Dunlopillow foam .
Anyway beggars cant be choosy and no longer suffer from burnt bum from the hot Aussie sun.
I did have to fill extra wadding in the middle of the bench to give it a raised look and some around the edges of seat bases but am pleased with the results.
My am currently in the process of re timbering doors and improving fit so the rest of the trim can be fitted after 3 yrs in it,s box as you may of seen in some previous posts. Ian Theobald .Nowra Australia
Will try and post pictures later as having issues attaching
Attachments
20161030_182056.jpg
20161030_182056.jpg (89.79 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
20161027_180930.jpg
20161027_180930.jpg (91.85 KiB) Viewed 1708 times

antijam

Post by antijam » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks to all who responded to my original query. From your replies I deduce that while the trim Moss supplies is not up to the erstwhile standard of Mike Collingburn it provides an acceptable finish for those not aspiring to top Concours honours.

The side discussion on colour matching and originality, while interesting, is irrelevant to my situation. I have already finished the car in a non-standard colour and expect to do the same with the trim. What is important in this case regarding the trim supplied by any of the majors is the quality of fit, finish and workmanship. It's good to hear that although Mike Collingburn has now retired, the torch has been passed on - albeit 'across the pond'.

My initial choice of Moss as a supplier was based primarily on the fact that in the UK they currently have a major discount on trim - expiring in the next few weeks. The 'Honey Tan' of their range would be an acceptable but not ideal choice of colour. Interestingly the exact shade of the standard 'original' colours varies from supplier to supplier. Since none of the usual sources produce the trim themselves but sub it to outside upholsterers, I am currently asking them if they can supply seats and trim kits in a custom shade to my specification - and at a reasonable price. It'll be interesting to see their reaction.

I'm actually trying to mirror the colour scheme of one of my other cars....
1-P1210665.JPG
...where the trim colour is considerably lighter than the TC 'Beige' or 'Tan' but should be in the range of most professional upholsterers.

Incidentally, I do have the original seats from my car that were re-trimmed in 1964 albeit in heavy grained black vinyl, not leather....
1-P1320039.JPG
These were never refitted in the car and have been in storage - unused - ever since. They are hardly up to Concours standard, and could do with a good clean, but nevertheless would provide good functional service in an 'everyday' car. They're for sale if anyone is interested.