TC rear axle oil leak onto brake shoes (yep, again ......)

Discussion of TABC-related matters
alan

Re: TC rear axle oil leak onto brake shoes (yep, again .....

Post by alan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:06 pm

Hello all, I also have fitted the modified nuts with oil seals, which appear to be doing their job, but there is some spattering onto the wheels. However I recently read the article on fitting a Morris Minor diff center to the TC which stressed that you must also add extra breathers to the diff housing. I must say I don't actually know without going out to look, does the TC have a breather and if so is it efficient enough, or clean? (even with a standard diff?)

Marv

Post by Marv » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:34 am

The fill cap on the neck of the diffy has a breather hole in it that must be kept clean. Is it adequate? For normal usage in standard configuration, history would imply that it is. If one wanted to add a breather, the little top hat breathers used on the MGB, Austin Healeys and others would be a good choice probably. would require drilling and tapping the Diffy somewhere along the 12 o'clock position.

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:47 pm

Original fill plug is a nice bit of quality. Curious if the reproduction ones have the baffle, or just a small hole?

Yes, the original breather works flawlessly for the differential. It does not have much to do.
IM000922.JPG
Attachments
IM000912.JPG
IM000912.JPG
Last edited by Duncan M on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

searunner

Post by searunner » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:35 am

alan wrote:Hello all, I also have fitted the modified nuts with oil seals, ...... you must also add extra breathers to the diff housing. I must say I don't actually know without going out to look, does the TC have a breather and if so is it efficient enough, or clean? (even with a standard diff?)
I agree with alan and I have added TWO TOYOTA breathers nearest the differential ends
I also have fitted the nuts seals- it works well on my right side- but at the left I have find one oil leak -
I have increased the spring charge of the left seal and added the two breathers -at the moment I have
not tested the modification -I hope that this works

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-and-Re ... 2749.l2649
Attachments
NO commercial interest on it
NO commercial interest on it
Asl400.jpg (23.57 KiB) Viewed 2684 times

Kenmgtc

Post by Kenmgtc » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:55 pm

Make sure you haven't overfilled the axle either. I fill and leave the level plug open overnight, to ensure its at the right level after turning the prop shaft several times. If it's overfilled the problem is much worse.

I suppose this is one reason for the grease fitting inside the hub... pack it with enough grease and the oil stays in place? At least it worked in one side of mine and might have worked in the other, if someone hadn't left the nut way too loose and ruined the bearing. :roll: Now I'm waiting for a bearing and trying to find someone to press out the old and install a new one in the carrier.

Seems odd the bearing has to be clamped in place in the bearing carrier with the hub. Mine seems so tight i cannot imagine it moving.
Ken Klemmer
1948 TC 5510

Nigel D

Post by Nigel D » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:40 am

Many thanks for the great input folks, much appreciated.

I decided to replace the bearing with a sealed unit, replaced the rear seal, cleaned up the bearing carrier & hub surfaces to ensure completely flat and ensured minimum 4 thou gap, tightened Roger Furneaux nut ( & lip seal & speedi sleeve) to correct torque and used lots of non setting sealer (Hylomar blue) as well as paper gasket.

Only been a few days, but so far so good!!