Door to metal spacing

Discussion of TABC-related matters
SteveW

Door to metal spacing

Post by SteveW » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:57 pm

I am in the process of hanging my doors. I've set a 1/4" gap all around (wood to wood) to set the 'hole' that the door fits in as recommended in TCFE, but I have a question with regard to the rear edge of the door where it overlaps with the rear quarter panel.

How much of the gap should be left between the overlapping part of the door and the metal? knowing this is critical to how far in-board/ out-board I mount the hinges. I would be grateful if someone could measure the gap on a finished car.

Thanks
Steve

stephen stierman

Re: Door to metal spacing

Post by stephen stierman » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:47 am

Very little gap at the bottom, almost touching, and slightly more at the top, I really can't get a measurement that would be of value. Just set them up as close as you can, but of course make sure the door does not scrape the outer panel as you open and close them. Be sure the tub is bolted to the chassis and resting on wheels as given a slight amount of chassis flex can easily change this setting.

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:12 am

Steve, as best as I can measure mine it's 3.54mm (using digital callipers). I'm not sure the actual measurement is critical as long as the gap looks right. I'll bet they never left the factory with uniform gaps. My body was made by LLaneli so is probably as good as it gets.

Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

antijam

Post by antijam » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:27 pm

The gaps on my car vary from 0.9mm to 1.6mm....
Gap.jpg
This is on a new fully panelled Hutson tub after painting, where I have to say the door fit is excellent. The doors open cleanly with no scuffing of the body paint.

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:14 pm

Only body I have is original factory one. Measuring gap-- between the top and bottom hinge I get nothing greater than about 2.8mm either side of car. Up top where it rounds over, the gap at parts of the bend are wider, and similar looking to Norman's second pic. Similar to Stephen's description.

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:42 am

Thanks guys, as usual that's really helpful. I'll let you know how I get on. I've done enough now to know exactly where the front door posts have to be. Pictures to follow of the completed stage 3 wood build in due course.