Using Pertronics in the TC

Discussion of TABC-related matters
pleask

Using Pertronics in the TC

Post by pleask » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:15 am

I am mulling over switching over to the Pertronics system for my TC. I found a part number for a Positive ground TC, but not for a Negative ground (I switched over). Does it matter?

Does anyone happen to know if there is a Pertronics made for a Negative ground TC using the D2A dizzy?
Thanks, Pat

Norman Tuck

Re: Using Pertronics in the TC

Post by Norman Tuck » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:27 pm

I have had a Pertronix negative ground ignition in my TC for many years, and it has been working fine. No complaints. I don't know what a D2A distributer is, but I believe that my distributer is stock for my 1949 TC (6864).
I got it from Moss USA, which still has them in their most recent catalog. They have it for a Symmetric and Hi Lift Distributor (222-573) or an Asymmetric Distributor (222-562). I don't remember which one I have, but I do remember that I first bought the wrong one, and then they replaced it for me. The Catalog explains how to determine which one is correct for your distributor. It was very easily installed after I got the correct unit.
As with everything else that is aftermarket, they are "controversial." As I said, I am pleased with mine, but I have been warned that they will burn out if you leave the ignition on for an extended period with the engine not running.
I wish you well and good luck.
Norman

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:28 pm

Looking at the prices today on Moss they list the sale price of Pertronix at $129 and the sale Crane XR700 at $149.

A friend gave me an old stock never used Allison XR3000 unit, which is quite similar to the XR700. I have been using a plain Jane coil and it all works fine. It does require a bit of custom fitment for the sensor mount, but it all fits in the stock distributor nicely. I can post a pic or two if anyone is interested. It does require mounting the box somewhere. I found a spot high up in the passenger side footwell, underneath the carpet.

The XR3000 required switching to neg ground, but the XR700 can go either way.

MGAguru has a brief write up on the XR700 and includes some info on the XR3000. It is an MGA install he discusses.
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig207.htm

Gene Gillam

Post by Gene Gillam » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:10 pm

Pat,

Have the Petronics in both of my negative ground TC's...never a moment of trouble. http://www.thewedgeshopstore.com/pertro ... ymetrical/

cdrolshagen

Post by cdrolshagen » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi All,
why not try Powwerspark http://simonbbc.com/
I use these in several classic car without any problems,
Carl

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Just curious, have you had a problem with the points setup? I've been running points in most of my cars including the TC for decades without any issues. I adjust them once per year and that's about it.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:11 am

I agree with Steve, I have a small oil stobe for cleaning the contact surfaces and it only takes a few minutes to clean a gap them.

Likewise TC Bishop cam steering. If set up correctly with no slack in the ball joints they are a pleasure to drive, Converting to Datsun or VW boxes are usually hiding a problem.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:25 pm

Only problem with points I had was around the time the factory original condenser pooped out. I am trying out the optical trigger only after I was sure the points were working perfectly. No problem being covered up. I would suggest anyone do the same, and make sure the car runs perfectly on points before going to points/condenser replacement.

I agree with Norman about the BC box. It gives spectacular performance, but only when everything else in the front end is also set up properly.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:14 pm

Cheap factory condensers only last 60 or 70 years. How absurd! ;)
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Kenmgtc

Post by Kenmgtc » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:29 am

They are made in both versions. Pos and neg earth. I believe there is a way to change them by adding/changing a wire. Take a look at the moss motors page for the instructions.
Pertronics and other Hall effect sensors should give better performance than a worn distributor as the points gap and thus dwell changes if there is some shaft and bushing wear, and also does away with the condenser. Of course, if the distributor is really worn out, it needs to be refurbished regardless of the timing method.
Ken Klemmer
1948 TC 5510

lindi

Post by lindi » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:09 am

Hello together,

since yesterday with Pertronix. Today my first test drive.

They sell one for neg. earth (received it falsely for our pos. ground, first). You have to add one wire. Installation 10min. when having read the text, 20 min. if not. I took 20min.

Performance is indeed slightly better (just how I expected) because of a really minimal worn bushing of the rotor shaft - some little play was to feel. My idea was to fix this beauty mistake if already the supercharger is installed.

We are also using the 123ignition at some other cars and always felt the same wow-effect at the first drive. Just like an extra push in acceleration. Normally also the idle has to be set a bit lower.
Others cars remain with pointers and we are happy with them, too ...

Best regards
Lindi