What have you found?

Discussion of TABC-related matters
SteveW

What have you found?

Post by SteveW » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:46 am

I was taking the old wood out of a TC door yesterday and behind the wood I found these two car park tickets. I guess that they must have fallen in behind the door card.

For those of you not based in the UK, Keswick is in the lake District in the North West of England. The tickets place the car that the door came off in a Keswick car park on the 1st September 1968. I assume that the driver moved between car parks as the two tickets are for the same date but are not consecutive numbers.

It got me thinking - what unusual things have you found whilst restoring your car?

frenchblatter

Re: What have you found?

Post by frenchblatter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:57 pm

I found a few invoices for brake shoes and som pre decimal currency. The invoices were from 1968 .... spooky!

There's also two tax discs.

See it all Here: http://www.lotus7news.co.uk/MG-TC-APR.html scroll down to 30th April
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:32 pm

A very old (1953) local raffle ticket that said "save this ticket."

I also found that although my wheel and hub splines were just fine, the front hub bearing "races" were beyond safety limits, and the entire hubs were replaced.

And in each of the 4 Girling damper's, on the strip of spring steel that holds together the metering valve assembly, was a hand marked capital "Q." These were dampers that without doubt had never been apart since leaving the factory in '49.
Last edited by Duncan M on Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:02 am

In the back of the TC I found a moldy old towel which I decided not to save as a keepsake. In the door pocket was a lot pass for Universal Studios from the 1980's, so I assume the car was used in a TV or film production of some sort on that day.

In my MGB I found a US nickel dated the same year the car was built (1964) so obviously it wasn't placed there at the factory but it had been in there for a very long time.

In my '39 Ford truck I found all kinds of things from the 40's through 60's... S&H Green Stamps, tickets to the San Fernando Drag Strip, a note offering to buy the truck in trade for a brand new '57 Ford, a pair of Cool Ray sunglasses, a matchbook from a long since defunct bank, a pen from Pacific Telephone Co., three bottle openers for Coor's and Blatz beer, some maps from Richfield gas stations, a Goodyear tire service tag, a 1958 US penny, an old note pad, a few cigarette butts, used matches, an old Kleenex wrapper, a bunch of tissues from said Kleenex package removed and turned into a mouse nest, lots of dust, etc.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:40 am

In the body of TC2911, I found a good deal of pine replacing the proper ash timbers, and an inch of bondo slathered over tin roof flashing. A total bodge that I replaced.

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:51 am

In a Morris Eight- can`t remember the year- long since sold- but I believe 1947 , the front passengers inside door card was signed by two ladies who claimed to be the upholsterers.