Mating engine and gearbox

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Mark Robinson

Mating engine and gearbox

Post by Mark Robinson » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Do people apply any grease to the first motion shaft before inserting it into the clutch or leave it bare?

Thank you.

Regards
Mark TC4157

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Re: Mating engine and gearbox

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:42 pm

Assuming you replaced the pilot bushing, you would have soaked it in oil for a day or so to fill the pores for long-term lubrication. But to help with assembly I always put a VERY small amoujnt of grease on the nose; under NO circumstances do you want to use so much grease that it can be spun out and onto the clutch.

I also use a TINY amount of grease on the splines to help the clutch disc slide easily - again, not enough so that centrifugal force will throw it out and onto the clutch. I do that by putting a TINY amount of grease on a toothbrush and brushing it into the splines, and then wiping with a cloth.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

Mark Robinson

Post by Mark Robinson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:38 am

Great. That's what I assumed.

Many thanks for your reply Tom.

Regards
Mark

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:38 am

I do the same - soak the bushing in oil, put a bit of grease on the shaft and then wipe just enough grease on the splines to give lubrication and corrosion protection without attracting a bunch of clutch dust and gumming it up. Usually I just wipe some grease on the splines and then wipe it off again with a rag, leaving just the thinnest film. I've even used oil on a rag before. If you don't leave the car sitting for long periods of time, then it doesn't need much to prevent sticking.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:39 pm

Way back in the 60's we would apply a smear of white, high temprature grease to the splines. However, a couple of the lads ("lads"... the youngest was in his later 50s) insisted the splines and centre plate should be dry to avoid the dust from mixing with the grease and clogging everything up.

The centre plate moves about 1/16" along the splines so not much needs lubricating.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

Mark Robinson

Post by Mark Robinson » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:52 am

Thanks chaps.