TC Steering box

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Val. h

TC Steering box

Post by Val. h » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:57 am

Hello Folks. I'm new here and don't seem to be able to find the search box???

Anyway. I have a 47TC Oilie Rag car (un-restored) that I recently bought from my late fathers estate. It's recently been put back on the road, but the steering is really slack due to worn parts. It's been adjusted and is good on the L&R limits, but this leaves lots of central play, approx two or more inches of steering wheel free movement when driving. I've seen somewhere that I can get a new pin, But can I get replacement worm and other parts?

I'd like to keep it as original as possible and don't want to have to do one of the sb conversions.

Val.

SavannahDog

Re: TC Steering box

Post by SavannahDog » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:43 am

Val, Recently I saw that Moss Motors had the pin. Wait for others to communicate I'm new and haven't touched my TC yet
Julian Carter
1948 MG TC
1952 Chevy Pickup
1967 Triumph TR4A
1970 Triumph GT6

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:21 am

Was a time when only bad quality replacement worms were available. They lacked a key feature to aid in straight ahead steering. Not sure where you can get the good newer worms. Probably "From the Frame Up" in Arizona can set you straight, or they can rebuild your entire Bishop Cam box? Give Doug Pelton a call.

I can tell you that the drop arm ball wears much more than the other link balls. Entire new link assemblies are available. BC box needs competant adjustment. Peg on sector shaft is fairly easy to press out/in to replace. New top plates are available for about $10.

ttypes.org/ttt2 ran a series of articles. Search "keeping it on the straight and narrow"

Doug Pelton (FTFU) wrote a good article: http://ttypes.org/ttt2/tc-steering-unde ... assemblies
Last edited by Duncan M on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norman Tuck

Post by Norman Tuck » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:48 pm

I'll bite.
Check out the June 18, 2017 posting on this site for a discussion of converting to a VW steering box. A very common, yet controversial, solution to TC steering gearbox problems.
A nice, easy to install conversion kit is available at http://mwthemachineshop.com/vwvsbc . Worked on my car.

Good luck. Norman

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:09 pm

I second the recommendation to call From The Frame Up. There are steering box parts available from multiple suppliers but I have no idea how to tell who still has old, bad stock and who has new, correctly manufactured parts. The only one I know for sure is FTFU since they recently had theirs made. I suspect Moss would have scrapped any questionable steering parts long ago so they could be another option.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Franz Tenbrock

Post by Franz Tenbrock » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:05 am

Hallo
i read now for hours about steering T Model
i found this here
http://thisweekattheshop.com/?p=4220
"It’s both a good thing and a bad thing that this is essentially a TR3 steering box mounted upside down. The upside of it is that used parts are commonly available, the downside is that with the steering box cover on the bottom, leakage leading to a dry box is always a potential problem. It’s also a bear to pull out.

is it possible to take a TR3 worm ?
http://www.racetorations.co.uk/triumph- ... -rhd-p1149
Best Regards
Franz

3D Print: CJR3 case for Lucas340, individual Titan-X spark plug holder, resin printed octagon hazzard light switch and some more,

searunner

Post by searunner » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:25 am

Hi Franz
I have rebuild my car steering section this year in the Springtime - I have passed the previous year to collect
the spares , I have changed:
The Drop Arm
the Peg
the Sector shaft
the Cotter Pins
the Drag Link
All Track Rod ENDS
The design of the Bishops steering Box don't permit to avoid the inside Original defects and the center steering instability are inside at the project- never take off the hands from the steering wheel
BUT if the problem are very serious -probably one of the items that I have changed are in BAD conditions and
SAFETY are compromised
I have find that my car haven't the LH Trak Rod LOCK NUT- this have seriously compromised the thread of the track road with a increase of the steering play and a PROBABLE CATASTROPHIC FAILURE in the future
NOTE :A Tompkins Adjuster box was ordered but when it arrive have evident production defects-returned it to
the seller

Franz Tenbrock

Post by Franz Tenbrock » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:07 am

Hallo
the worm was ok ?
and now , better ?
what is with the shims ? nothing found in the moment how to measure it
3 Weeks left to drive ;-)
Best Regards
Franz

3D Print: CJR3 case for Lucas340, individual Titan-X spark plug holder, resin printed octagon hazzard light switch and some more,

searunner

Post by searunner » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:05 am

important NOTE
When I have examined my front AXLE I have noted that the Steering Stop bolts was missed
This bolts placed on the rear and the domed head of the cotter pins create an IMPORTANT
END STOP-- I haven't never see it on the TC spares list and on the diagrams ---???
The END avod that excessive steering angle apply strong forces on all component of
the steering system- obvious it must be equalized RX and LX side

Franz Tenbrock

Post by Franz Tenbrock » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi Andrea,
have you made some pictures ??
and now better driving ?

i will make pictures of every step, perhaps some videos,
if a make a mistake you see it
and can laugh
it is not so much videos to this problem in the internet ...
Best Regards
Franz

searunner

Post by searunner » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:20 am

Hi Franz
Never make pictures of this step
initially me and BORIS not understand exactly how are the hole and how it works
also find the bolts and nut. and the right thread aren't a simple job
Now I tray to make a photo
the worm was in very good conditions and also the steering box bearing the shims are right for good play
no rust or imperfection-- play +/- one inch-- strong effort on static pos- but easy to drive in movement
I have changed the peg and sector shaft and drag link for precaution after 70 years of hard work
obvious I have changed also the hub bearings (not tapered bear)
tested the TC on a long trip (600Km) A/R from Trieste to Valdobbiadene at 100 MIGLIA del PROSECCO
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5USJncSBoAZw82Xp7
Ciao

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:13 am

My BC box is in decent shape, new peg, shimmed and adjusted, etc. but not brand new. The one change that I made was changing toe in from 1/4" to 1/2" as listed for TA and TB. Much improved directional stability and more accurate steering input. No VW box needed.

Val. h

Post by Val. h » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:40 am

Duncan M wrote:Was a time when only bad quality replacement worms were available. They lacked a key feature to aid in straight ahead steering. Not sure where you can get the good newer worms. Probably "From the Frame Up" in Arizona can set you straight, or they can rebuild your entire Bishop Cam box? Give Doug Pelton a call.

I can tell you that the drop arm ball wears much more than the other link balls. Entire new link assemblies are available. BC box needs competant adjustment. Peg on sector shaft is fairly easy to press out/in to replace. New top plates are available for about $10.

ttypes.org/ttt2 ran a series of articles. Search "keeping it on the straight and narrow"

Doug Pelton (FTFU) wrote a good article: http://ttypes.org/ttt2/tc-steering-unde ... assemblies

Thank for this, I'll have a read through.

Should have said I'm in the UK.

Norman Tuck wrote:I'll bite.
Check out the June 18, 2017 posting on this site for a discussion of converting to a VW steering box. A very common, yet controversial, solution to TC steering gearbox problems.
A nice, easy to install conversion kit is available at http://mwthemachineshop.com/vwvsbc . Worked on my car.

Good luck. Norman
Thanks for the info, I've heard of this conversion and the Nissan one too. However, I don't intend to go this way untill I absolutely have to. My car is in original condition, not a restoration. The engine has never been out of the car and the body has never been lifted off. I want to keep it as original as possible. Fix what needs fixing and replace worn parts with as close to genuine as possible. Use it. Love it.

Val.

Franz Tenbrock

Post by Franz Tenbrock » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:42 pm

i have read a lot of this before...
i also want to restore the original BC Box
the vw box change the type of driving i have read ..

in the moment i read to know want will be,
have a look what parts are availabel
etc.

it is not the steering at all ...
kinpin ...
and all other parts in the front
it will be time from December to march next year
Best Regards
Franz

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:21 pm

Val-
Check out UK Amsteer. Quite the bargain for TC end link set.
http://www.amsteer.co.uk/M.G%20Car%20Parts

searunner

Post by searunner » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:50 am

Franz Tenbrock wrote:i have read a lot of this before...
i also want to restore the original BC Box
I agree with Duncan -From Amster I have purchased some TC steering spares at right price and good quality
I see the TC worm on NTG MGbits site, and purchased the Drop Arm-peg-Sector shaft
I have see that you are well informed on the matter- you are on the right way to obtain a good Bishop box

I follow also your Engine rebuild, with a lot of interest

Franz Tenbrock

Post by Franz Tenbrock » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:22 am

when i got the car i got a big box with parts,
today i take a look to it
and i found two track road ends,
they seems to be new, but how can i test it ?

i think somebody has took a look to it , and think : the old one are ok ..
otherwise i have perhaps some new one

perhaps save some money

it was wonderful wehather today, but not enough time, shit
i have to paint my new garden door
i need some place for my hobby
garage 8x4m
Best Regards
Franz

Franz Tenbrock

Post by Franz Tenbrock » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:35 pm

Hallo
today i make some picture of parts i get with the car,
kingpins?! , Bear ( but wich one ) ...
some looks new some old and used,
some used but good condition, so it seems...

so someone has worked at the front some day....

but i don t know all parts i have
would be great to help me, easy for someone has done it,
i will help other people too when i know it
i will write all together i find of steering ...
Attachments
Teile neu.JPG
Teile gebraucht.JPG
Best Regards
Franz

searunner

Post by searunner » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:16 am

Hi Franz
on track roads end the balls are the critical point- sferic surface must be controlled, if good -then must be controlled the 8 holes and the springs
the box can be the front hubs bearing ..are new or the oldest after the substitution?
easy to control if you find the SFK or Timken code equivalence
My opinion are that PO makes the works and changes, and this are the old pieces (in good or usable conditions) precautionary stored -- I have adopted the same strategy

Franz Tenbrock

Post by Franz Tenbrock » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:02 am

Hi Andrea
Sorry this morning first no time, just take the pictures
no some text to it

the old track road ends are 1 mm or, 1,5 mm more in diameter than the new one, seems to be new ...
different suppliers ??
both the new and old one don t wiggle, and seems to work goor when i take the little arm
the thread also seems to be unused.

some old parts no idea what they are, some parts from the engine, all 8x

the old cover of the engine perhaps.

a new seal for the valve caver and the cover on the side

so some parts to save noney ?!

and a little story of the car
Attachments
bild beschriftet 1.png
bild beschriftet 1.jpg
bild beschriftet 2.jpg
Best Regards
Franz