Engine steady rod and adjustment.

Discussion of TABC-related matters
jddevel

Engine steady rod and adjustment.

Post by jddevel » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:44 am

What`s the procedure regarding adjusting the engine steady rod please.

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Re: Engine steady rod and adjustment.

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:48 pm

I assume you mean TD/TF engine steady. May I ask why you feel the need to adjust?

First, check and/or replace the engine steady rubbers, the engine mount and the transmission rubber pieces (all 3 of them). Make sure the clevis is not broken out of the bottom of the tranisission, and that the cup washer is installed and adjusted correctly on the bottom of the transmission mount, with the cup facing downward. If any of these rubber pieces is at all soft you will have excessive movement, and difficulty adjusting.

Then loosen the engine steady locknut and adjust the engine steady so that the two ends are centrally located in the large hex center piece, and don't rotate when turning the hex. Loosen the hex as much as you can and rock the engine side to side a few times to settle it in place, then carefully adjust the hex so the engine is held snugly in that place without any play. Not too tight so that the engine has moved from its static position, but just so the adjuster holds the engine in its "resting" place. Tighten the lock nuts, make sure the cotter pins are good to go, and you are done.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:05 am

Thank you Tom.

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:47 am

Tom. Bracket attached to the chassis which had to be removed to allow change over from LHD to RHD meant steady rod had to be slackened plus complete new steady rod "kit" to be fitted as thread on old one previously damaged and bushes not in great shape.
Engine rebuilt by previous owner and my decision is not cost effective to do again now. This follows up my view on the crank seal update which is only being considered as I`m fitting a 5 speed box from Hi-Gear in the UK plus new clutch face plate seems opportune to fit the seal kit conversion. However having not seen the Moss instructions not sure what`s involved. Will review.