Mg tc battery retention

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Kenmgtc

Mg tc battery retention

Post by Kenmgtc » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:32 am

Hi all, my TC has no means of battery retention and the battery slides around in the compartment. Looking at
FTFU they don’t seem to have the necessary parts. Does anyone have photos of the correct configuration or reversible alternate solutions? I was considering installing footman loops in the bottom of the box and strapping the battery in place with a nylon strap but don’t like drilling holes where there were none before. Perhaps a wood bottom plate installed first?
Thanks
Ken
Ken Klemmer
1948 TC 5510

TBrad

Re: Mg tc battery retention

Post by TBrad » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:16 am

On TCs the original Lucas 12-volt "tar top" battery was held into position with long threaded 1⁄4 BSF bolts going through tabs on each side of the battery. The bolts threaded into the captive nuts at the bottom of the battery box. TD's have a similar system but without the tabs and include a bar that when across the top of the battery to hold it in place. FTFU has a Tech Tip EL938, describing a battery hold down suggestion. Although not original, it is certainly a serviceable way of holding the battery down.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there!
- Brad P.

TD/C21325
TC0777

Kenmgtc

Post by Kenmgtc » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:25 am

Thank you for that... I was looking in the body hardware section.
K
Ken Klemmer
1948 TC 5510

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:54 am

The TD battery hold-down is often installed incorrectly - it fits on the front of the battery and holds it snugly against the back wall of the battery box. The u-shaped bracket does not fit on the top or top edge of the battery. There was, as I remember, a wooden tray under the battery, as well.

Tom Laange
MGT Repair

Tim Jackson

Post by Tim Jackson » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:57 am

I used a couple of rods with ¼ BSF threads for the bottom captive nuts, and butterfly nuts (metric) at the top securing a wooden batten across the battery top. The battery sits on a thick rubber mat which might be original. I’ve not seen this mat in any parts books.
Attachments
battery base mat.jpg
battery hold-down.jpg
946 TC0999 / XPAG 1638
restore note