Lack of readable info on adjusting front wheel bearings TC

Forum for off-topic matters. NO politics or religion.
Duncan M

Lack of readable info on adjusting front wheel bearings TC

Post by Duncan M » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:48 am

Any torque wrench figures for the big nut? Manual a bit vague
Last edited by Duncan M on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: Lack of readable info on adjusting front wheel bearings

Post by Steve Simmons » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:31 pm

There really isn't an adjustment on the bearings. You just want the distance spacer to match the distance between the inner bearing races. Some people do use thin shims to adjust this spacing to remove bearing play, which essentially just pushes the inner races outward a bit so the bearings are rolling slightly to the side of center, and therefore have less side to side slop. Whether or not this is OK to do, I will leave to someone more familiar with bearing design.

The front end article you are looking for is located HERE.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Duncan M

Re: Lack of readable info on adjusting front wheel bearings

Post by Duncan M » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:08 pm

Steve-
I don't know how I missed that article in the resources section. Thank you. The number I was looking for was the 80 lbs torque down on the wheel nut, over that coned washer, for unmodified TC front wheel bearings. I did the brakes and wheel bearings first, and in the months since then the car has been pushed then driven hither and tither around the yard while I worked on other things. Before driving on the road I'll do a full nut and bolt check including the wheel bearings...and just could not locate that number. But, when I do check I will see about the need for any shims you mention. :)