Tips For Using The New MG-TABC Discussion Forum

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Tips For Using The New MG-TABC Discussion Forum

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:43 am

Here are a few tips for those migrating from the old discussion list to the new format. This list will be added to as necessary. We hope you enjoy all the new features now available to us!

REGISTERING
  • * When you register on the new site, consider using your real name as you user name. This makes it easier for others to find your profile and contact information in the future.

* There is also an area for entering your TC information. This is optional but we hope everyone uses it. You can edit your profile info at any time in the future from the User Control Panel, so don't worry if you don't have your engine number handy, for example, when signing up.

* Once your registration is submitted, it will take a short time for your account to be activated. Every account is manually approved and activated by a real human to ensure no spammers or web bots get into the forum. This is a spam-free zone!

* You will receive an email confirmation when your account is activated. At this time you will have full access to the forum and all of its features including image and document attachments, viewing member profiles, sending other members private messages, etc.

* When you log in, you may choose to click the "Remember me" button. This option will keep you logged into the site so you don't have to do it again each time you visit. You do not need to log out when you're done. However if on a public computer, be sure to log out after each session so no one else can use the forum masquerading as you!
POSTING AND REPLYING
  • *You can reply to a topic by clicking the "Post Reply" button at the bottom of each discussion. You will be taken to a screen where you can post your reply, attach images, use BB Code buttons, Emoticons, etc. Click "Submit" when finished.

*To quote what someone else said within your reply, click the button on the post in question that looks like a quotation mark. You will be taken to the reply screen, and the other person's quote will be automatically entered. Add your own reply and click "Submit".

* You can edit any post you have made even after it is posted. This allows us to correct typos, factual errors, or anything else. You can even delete your posts after they are made if no one has replied to it yet.

* You can attach photos and many types of files including PDF to your post. If larger than 640 pixels wide, photos will be automatically sized down to fit into your post. Clicking a resized photo will bring up the full version.
ATTACHING IMAGES TO YOUR MESSAGE
  • * To attach images, go to the "Full Editor" by clicking the button below the Quick Reply area (at the bottom of each thread). To attach an image to your post, simply drag the image from your computer into the reply box. Alternately, you can do it the old fashioned way by clicking the "Attachments" button and then "Add file".

NOTE: When attaching images, they must be 2mb or less in file size, and 3200 pixels or less in physical size. Optionally you can also enter a "file comment" which will be displayed with the attachment in your post. You can attach up to ten photos per post.
EMAIL NOTIFICATION
  • * For those who want to be informed of new posts by email, use the "Subscribe" button. You can subscribe to specific discussion topics, or even to entire forums. When a new reply is made to the topic or forum you've subscribed to, you will be notified by email. Clicking the link in this email will bring up the topic with its new replies. You will only be bothered with a single email telling of new replies, rather than one for every reply. Once you've read the new replies, you will be sent another email for any further replies, and so on.
YOUR ACCOUNT
  • * Your account preferences can be viewed and modified in the "User Control Panel". The link is in the upper right corner of the forum. Click your name and then "User Control Panel". Here you can edit your profile, manage your attachments, make a signature line to appear under all your posts and much, much more.

* Each member may have an "avatar". This is an image that is displayed beside each one of your posts and on the forum member list. Your avatar image can be anything, but photos of yourself, your car, or yourself with your car are encouraged. You can upload an avatar from the User Control Panel. These images may be up to 180 pixels by 180 pixels in size. Avatars cannot be automatically sized so you will need to do this before you upload it. If you don't have the software to do this on your computer, you can use a web site such as Pic Resize, Web Resizer or Photo Resize. Enter 180 pixels as the maximum dimension. If your image is wider than it is tall (landscape) then enter 180 pixels wide. If it is taller than wide (portrait) then enter 180 pixels high.
MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS
  • * If you would like the page to appear larger on your monitor, you can press and hold the Control Key and roll the middle button of your mouse so zoom the page in and out. This is a great feature and works best on Firefox browsers. Click here to get Firefox
If you have any questions, just ask!
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Tom P

Re: Tips For Using The New MG-TABC Discussion Forum

Post by Tom P » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:39 pm

Avatar photos... seems the max size is 24 kb... very, VERY small! No matter what I do with photoshop trying to reduce photos, reduce their quality, crop, scale, etc.. the smallest I can make a photo is 28 kb! And that fails the upload. Any chance the avatar photo size could be increased - or - any recommendations on how I get Photoshop to further reduce a photo?

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:57 pm

Avatar size has now been increased to 180 pixels and 250Kb. The size can be up to 180 x 180 pixels.

Since you have Photoshop, make the final image 180 pixels max in either direction. Then, use the "Save for web" feature. As a JPG file, it will probably come out around 30-60K. My avatar is around 40K. Or try one of the free online image resizing services listed above.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

Tom P

Post by Tom P » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:40 pm

Thanks Steve.. That worked. The resulting photo quality is blurry.. but I'll play with it and get it to work better. THANKS! Tom

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:18 pm

After reducing that far in size, try using the filter called "Unsharp Mask", set to 50%. That should pretty it up.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

John Youens

Post by John Youens » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Steve,

The "new" forum is outstanding! Yes, I'm a bit slow in finding out about it. Thanks to Jim Shade sending me an email with the forum link on it. Looking forward to joining in on the discussions.

John
47 TC2742 JGO 532
48 TC4438 LVT 650

Robert Brennan

Post by Robert Brennan » Wed May 22, 2013 4:02 pm

I have attempted to download 3 photos to share on the site, I'm not sure what I did was correct. They seem to be ready to submit, can you please send directions on how to proceed for photos and text?
Thanks,
Bob Brennan

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Wed May 22, 2013 4:10 pm

Using the "Full Editor", scroll down to the "Upload Attachment" area. Click the Browse button, find the image you want to attach, and then click "Add the file". Repeat for additional images (up to 10 total per post). Once you have finished typing your message and attaching images, click the "Submit" button.

2020 UPDATE: From the "Full editor" screen, simply drag your photo into the reply box. Optionally, add a caption for the photo. Once done with your post, click "Submit".
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

TBrad

Post by TBrad » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:47 pm

If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there!
- Brad P.

TD/C21325
TC0777

Herman 5560

Post by Herman 5560 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:36 pm

On the new way of placing pics...

From where do I drag the pic into the "Reply box"? From the File manager?

And is the "Reply Box" the box where you are typing now?

Have patience with old people, we do not like change ;)

PS Any chance the photo of the month can become "Live", I am sure our readers have lots of pics of their monthly outings or get togethers and would love to share them with all of us. Not criticizing, You are doing a great job with the site after my mail the second site I visit every morning. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:30 pm

The "Quick Reply Box" at the end of each topic is just for quick text replies. To access all posting features including to attach images, you have to be in the "Full Editor".

To get to the full editor, click either of the following buttons: (click image to enlarge)
reply1.jpg

And then drag your image into the text area as shown here:
reply2.jpg
Or alternately, click the "Attachments" tab as shown above and search your computer the old fashioned way. Once your image is attached, it will appear under the Attachments tab. You can then add a file comment if you want your image to have a descriptive caption. You can add a comment for each attached image by typing it into the "File Comment" boxes.

The photo of the month used to be maintained by a member who is no longer with us, but I will look into your suggestion! For now, you can always start a new thread, or add to an existing one, with any images you like.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

Herman 5560

Post by Herman 5560 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:04 am

Fantastic. Quick feedback.

Very clear now.
I see it works from File Manager and your Desk Top. You just have to have both open on you screen at the same time. :bow:

Keep healthy :thumbs: