Great old photo

Forum for off-topic matters. NO politics or religion.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Great old photo

Post by Steve Simmons » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:36 am

Here's one I've never seen before. One of the TD guys posted it on another site.

Who can name the M.G. models and people?

(click for larger version)
Attachments
Abingdon Factory
Abingdon Factory
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

David Edgar

Re: Great old photo

Post by David Edgar » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:06 am

Things I notice are there may be two different models in the photo. The valve cover in the closer line looks shorter (4 cyl) than the model in the back line (6 cyl ?). MG PA and MG N types were built at the same period. I think those 12 parts on the bench are gear box remote units (laying upside down) which look similar to the remote pictured in the lower right corner of the photo. Closer line has outer laced wheels but I cannot make out any knock-offs on the cars.

So my guess is PA in the foreground and N type on the back line.

People? Surely there must be a John or a George in there somewhere. :lol:
David Edgar, 1948 TC 5108 / XPAG 5801
Owned since November 1967

John Libbert

Post by John Libbert » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:06 pm

I would say the cars in front are early J2s because they have the Petrol Lift fuel pumps and 8" brakes.

John

TATerry

Post by TATerry » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:07 pm

J2 and F type....definitely not N type
Terry

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:54 pm

I think there is just one production line shown, although there are a number of cars lined up upstairs. The cars behind the production line, the one in particular everyone seems to be trying to be near for the pic, appears to be a works racer, maybe. Definitely two tone, like cream and crackers, plus, those few that are right next to it appear to be showing off the straight six "Morris" engine with the bonnet flopped open. The fellow to the right touching it is the only person in all white (engineer), the guy in the car facing camera and smoking a pipe with his arm draped over the steering wheel is the only one wearing a suit without a work overcoat (Kimber?), and the younger one with his hand on the door is certainly the team's chief mechanic, or at least the one who put this one together . Terry has the models right, I think.

Matthew Magilton

Post by Matthew Magilton » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:48 pm

Foreground: J2 (no headlight bracket tabs on the radiator surround)
Background: L type. Sloping grille with the post-F type bodywork and flowing guards. Its a four seater so not a works car. Kimber not in this photo that I can see. White overcoat could be final assembly inspector prior to road test etc.

Matthew.

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Sat May 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Above pic is not the best to identify people. Looking through a book by Chris Harvey, with several old personnel pics, the guy sitting in the car could be Frank Stevens(?) or George "Pop" Propert. In white coat, George King (unknown position with Co.) or it could be Reg Jackson (race tuner and engine man from very early days) he often wore such a white coat. Standing in front with left hand on door bears a striking resemblance to always young looking Syd Enever, who among other things designed the EX135 and was also a very early employee. Engine fitters and others from the Engine Dept. often wore white coats, like the one in pic.
Mathew could well be right, and the background cars F type Magna with the 1261 cc six cylinder; underpowered with the long, heavy, 7' 10" wheelbase and four seats. An up-market model, they tried hard to make people think the six cylinder engine was something new, by disquising its Wolseley origin.