TC Fuel Sending Unit

Discussion of TABC-related matters
TBrad

TC Fuel Sending Unit

Post by TBrad » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:47 am

Inside the fuel sending unit, there appears to be a fixed capacitor and two movable blades, one on each side, connected to the external float. As the float moves down and the blades rise the right blade comes in contact with another fixed blade at the top, which is connected to the electrical contact wired to the low fuel light on the dash.

My question is; does the movable blade go on the inside or the outside of the fixed blade? My hunch is it is supposed to be on the outside, away from the capacitor.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there!
- Brad P.

TD/C21325
TC0777

Duncan M

Re: TC Fuel Sending Unit

Post by Duncan M » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:00 pm

An often misunderstood thing. No capacitor or resistor inside.

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:35 pm

It's a simple on/off switch. As the float drops the arm fixed to the float lever touches the contact fixed to the body and earths the warning light which is live at all times.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

rwag66

Post by rwag66 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Fuel Sending Unit coming up, maybe next year.
Checked your site out, you have inspired me. I fell in love with TC @17, bought in 1963 in Philadelphia, PA, got it running in Kansas, drove to Long Beach, CA, parked it in 1966, now just starting to pull it apart again. Looks very much like yours after sitting for 52 years.
I need to set up a site to illustrate the story like you have done.
Well done, Lynn & Norman!
Ron

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:07 am

Hi rwag66. Will look out for your site with interest. Just had TC4904 with XPAG5567 delivered to the shipping agent in New York for onward journey to my home in Cornwall UK. It`s been sitting unused since 1956 and a one owner car. Excited is not the word for it.

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Rwag, I started the daily blog to record the rebuild of TC10178. When the car was finished I posted thet the car was finished so I would stop the blog. I got nearly 100 emails asking me not to stop so it carries on to this day.

I keep mine simple and use Pagebreeze html editor. You'll need a some web space to store your blog and you can get this from many places.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement