TC master cylinder

Discussion of TABC-related matters
neil888tv

TC master cylinder

Post by neil888tv » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:49 pm

Happy New Year everyone.
Does anyone have a diagram of the TC master cylinder components, the one in the manual is a bit vague,
I've had mine re-sleeved and rebuilt but doesn't feel right, have tried to bleed the brakes but just can't remove the air, have tried to bench bleed M/cyl. but it just seems to pump fluid with a stream of air bubbles, any ideas guys?
Neil.

Marv

Re: TC master cylinder

Post by Marv » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:58 pm

Neil: If you haven't already done so, I suggest you have a look at Doug Pelton's 15 minute you tube video on the TC master cylinder, The cylinder, by comparison, to other master cylinders is a very simple device and only offers limited means of inducing air into the fluid flow. The reservoir is running empty, there is a leak path at the interface of the cannister and tube, the copper washer is compromised, new tube installed with hole drastically off of TDC or drastic size difference between piston and sleeve diameters. You must be quite sure the sleeve and the piston diameters are correct and the I.D. of the sleeve has been lightly cross hatched honed with a bottle hone. Plus do you have any noticeable fluid leakage at the sleeve to cannister interface or at the outlet extension tube interface to cannister. Has the piston O-ring or rubber cup been compromised on ass'y which is easy to do? Is the rubber plug installed in the brass cup? I think you have to disassemble and start over to double check all potentials. I used Doug's improved piston and followed the video plus book instructions and had no problem. See Doug's video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtDRHd2w97s

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:54 pm

Who re-sleeved and rebuilt it, Neil? Do not bench bleed a TC M/C. Unfortunately the art of rebuilding hydraulic components like brake M/C's and wheel cylinders has been mostly lost to all but the most serious car hobbiests. There is a very good reason Castrol came out with vegetable oil based "Red Rubber Grease" long ago. Even Moss still sells a generic version of it https://mossmotors.com/brake-assembly-rubber-grease that works just fine. Yes it goes inside the MC bore and onto the rubber bits that will eventually be soaking in brake fluid. A little bit goes a loong way. Makes for easy insertion of rubber into bore.

Never use an ice pick to get rubber hydraulic seals inserted, unless if absolutely necessary. As for bleeding the TC, nothing works like a vacuum bleeder at each bleed screw.

Franz Tenbrock

Post by Franz Tenbrock » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:02 pm

the link to doug was perfect....
THX

i have to change one pipe left side front
Best Regards
Franz

3D Print: CJR3 case for Lucas340, individual Titan-X spark plug holder, resin printed octagon hazzard light switch and some more,

searunner

Post by searunner » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:53 am

Hi Franz
If you must change one for damage, OK -
otherwise consider seriously the change of all the pipes our olds lady have 70 years
on the wheels . Safety First

neil888tv

Post by neil888tv » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:20 pm

Thanks, Marv the FTFU video was great. Just found out my M/cyl is from a TA as it has a smaller extension piece so
may invest in a TC Tailpiece,
regards.

neil888tv

Post by neil888tv » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:30 pm

Hi Duncan The master cylinder was repaired by past parts in the UK they replaced the piston re-sleeved and rebuilt it, it had to go back because of the can leaking but seems ok now.
I did take it apart and replaced the valve body and noticed that there was only one hole in the top of the sleeve and from the diagram I have there should be a smaller bypass hole is that correct do you know?regards.