Exhaust manifold color

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Mark Strang

Exhaust manifold color

Post by Mark Strang » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:59 am

I want to get my exhaust manifold coated to resemble the original color. I've had Jet Hot coat a TD manifold and they did a great job but I wasn't too concerned about color because it was my driver. I know the manifolds were "aluminized" when made. Does anyone know what color the manifold should be? I'm trying to restore it back to make it period correct and show it. Is it the same color as the TD's? Of course I don't know what the original color of the TD's were so I'm at a loss as to the correct color in either case.
Also, I believe the exhaust system was black. Is this correct? That would mean the manifold is "silver" colored and the rest is black. I'd like confirmation of this.
Thanks,

Mark

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: Exhaust manifold color

Post by Steve Simmons » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:12 am

Here is an original TC aluminized manifold for reference. Unfortunately you'll never get an accurate color on a computer monitor without calibration on both ends, and who knows what the lighting was when I took the photo, but it will give you an idea of what you're after. It's basically a sparkly, textured silver.
Attachments
TC Aluminized Manifold
TC Aluminized Manifold
manifold.jpg (83.71 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Mark Strang

Post by Mark Strang » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:53 am

Thanks Steve,

It's a good start.

Mark

Mark Strang

Post by Mark Strang » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:05 pm

Steve,

How about the color of the exhaust system? Any ideas?

Mark

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:51 pm

If I had to guess, I would say rust. I doubt MG painted the exhaust pipes so by the time they got to the dealer they were probably full of it. I'm not really sure though. I suppose the exhaust box itself could have been plated or dipped from the manufacturer. Hopefully someone else has an answer.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:01 pm

There is a firm I think is located in Georgia that does aluminezed finishing on exhaust manifolds as original. Their info is in the Yahoo TABC forum, buried somewhere in the archive of messages.
As to exhaust pipe and muffler originality, from factory photos it appears they were installed with a coat of black paint on them. On the chassis line at the paint booth, Jimmy Cox said the exhaust usually got a god coat of black paint applied, albeit haphazardly.

If you want a really ‘original new’ look you could have the downpipe, muffler, and tailpipe black coated by a shop that specializes in high temp heat coatings. I may do that this year as I build TC0279 and TC2040.

Tom Wilson
MG TC originality trivia guru

Mark Strang

Post by Mark Strang » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:34 pm

Tom,
Thanks for the info. I think we are on the same page on originality. I'm thinking that black is going to be the color of choice. It just comes down to what to use. I've had my Morgan headers done with black powder coating and they turned out great with the "proper" matte finish. I could use stove paint which is good for 1200 degrees and again has the proper finish. There are also various types of header paints that are good to 2000 degrees. In all cases these temp limits far exceed the operating temps of the system. It should be stunning when done with the contrasts in color of the headers and pipes. I'm going to talk to Jet Coat to see if they have a product to do the headers in the proper color. I also will talk to my local powder coat shop friend to see if he can come up with what I want.
I like to build my cars to be judged at AACA events-and to be driven. They are not garage queens. Half of the fun with my Morgans, TD's, and now TC7801 is the research into originality as close as is possible down to the last nut and bolt. Clearly, they won't be totally correct because I'll get some bum info somewhere or I'll make a bad decision on something, but they'll be close. It's just all about the journey. Mark

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:36 pm

Whatever Tom says is what I'd go with! "MG TC Originality Trivia Guru" indeed!

I share your views on how to use a car. I like my car to be as period correct as possible (not necessarily factory correct) and as nice as I can feasibly keep it, while still driving and enjoying. I'm a bit harder on the car than the average TC owner, but I still like to keep it correct wherever I can. My tail pipe is black from burned oil, does that count? ;)
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

Mark Strang

Post by Mark Strang » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:18 pm

Black is black, however it get there. It all counts. Mark

Mark Strang

Post by Mark Strang » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:14 pm

Update on the color issue. I took the manifold to my power coat shop to see what he might be able to do with it based on Steve's photo. While we were looking at it I noticed what appeared to be a crack in the casting. Then I saw another "crack". After probing around I discovered that I was looking at the original aluminized coating that was starting to come off. Once some of the coating was removed I tested it with a magnet and sure enough it was not magnetic. I had the color all along and didn't realize it! Now I just have to be able to duplicate it either with manifold paint, powder coating, or something else. Half the battle is won. If I knew how to make the photo file smaller I would attach it but my computer skills are lacking.