xpag cam timing

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Rickwilson

xpag cam timing

Post by Rickwilson » Sun May 12, 2019 8:22 am

I am in process of rebuilding a 1953 TD engine for installing in TC1130. Getting ready to install timing chain & gears. I temporarily installed timing chain cover and crank pulley and rotated crank to TDC. Can someone please enlighten me on how to tell when cam is in proper position.
keyway on crank is pointing straight up. Should keyway on cam also point straight up? Should #1 intake valve be just opening, or #1 exhaust valve be just closing, or should both in take & exhaust be closed. I can't find anything in MG manuals that clarify this.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

frenchblatter

Re: xpag cam timing

Post by frenchblatter » Sun May 12, 2019 8:38 am

There should be two marks on the sprockets, the originals were "T"'s. Not counting the links which line up with the "T"'s there should be 15 links between the marks on the right hand, longer side.

If you email me at norman@frenchblat.com I'll send you a manual with a picture.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

Rickwilson

Post by Rickwilson » Sun May 12, 2019 9:02 am

Thanks, I do have manual with picture. Problem is that when I line up the links and "T"'s with 13 links on left side & 15 links on right side, they are not in same relative position as in picture. I just wonder if that makes no difference as long as the links line up, or should the links & "T"s be in relative position as in picture.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun May 12, 2019 9:11 am

I've seen gears that were mismarked so that they would never line up. The best thing to do might be to get a degree wheel.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Rickwilson

Post by Rickwilson » Sun May 12, 2019 9:39 am

a degree wheel, hmmm!! I will look into that.
thanks

Rickwilson

Post by Rickwilson » Sun May 12, 2019 10:54 am

Looks like degree wheel is way to go. It will will find true TDC, and confirm intake opening(5* BTDC). and exhaust closing(5*ATDC)
on way to buy degree wheel.
thanks Steve

Kenmgtc

Post by Kenmgtc » Mon May 13, 2019 5:03 am

Hi, here is a picture of the setup with the degree wheel, pointer, and a dial gauge configured on the first cam lobe (with a hardwood dowel between the roller cam follower and gauge pointer). You will need to know the correct settings for your cam profile unless it is ground stock.

I also used an adjustable cam gear to get the setting perfect.

Its a fiddlely process when you're doing it for the first time like I was! I spent a day trying to wrap my head around it. Good luck!
K
Attachments
cam timing.jpg
Ken Klemmer
1948 TC 5510

Rickwilson

Post by Rickwilson » Mon May 13, 2019 12:34 pm

Thanks for input Ken. my situation is a little different in that the head is on the block. Due to some research I THINK I have it figured out. I can find true TDC using a piston stop device that fits in spark plug hole. And use a dial indicator on #1 valve lifters to determine cam timing.
Read about procedure on internet. Sounds logical, we'll soon see if it works.

Kenmgtc

Post by Kenmgtc » Tue May 14, 2019 6:53 am

Rick,
Yes, that should work... really kind of the same thing i'm showing. The piston stop device will work and i used a similar technique using a spacer clamped to the block top to find true TDC in mine. good luck!
K
Ken Klemmer
1948 TC 5510