TC Paint color

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Mark Strang

TC Paint color

Post by Mark Strang » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:48 pm

Here we go again I suppose with a million answers- all different. I am restoring TC7801. I've got several cars in red and want this one to be green. I am using R-M paint like i did in the past on my 53 TD's. The local BASF/R-M dealer was able to locate the original codes based on what i found in various publications and duplicate it for the red color several years ago. They are drawing a blank on the green though. I found a document that showed the original R-M code to be BM076 for green. Does anyone have an idea as to what is the current R-M color code for R-M paint? I'm not interested in trying to match it to a current chip for some other make or recent car. There are too many problems getting the shade to match the original considering that the original color probably was not too uniform from one batch to the next. I'm guessing that the BM076 will be proper and close as they had in mind originally for the car as was the red. Any help would be appreciated.

Kenmgtc

Re: TC Paint color

Post by Kenmgtc » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:59 pm

Are you trying to match Shires Green?
Ken Klemmer
1948 TC 5510

Mark Strang

Post by Mark Strang » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:16 pm

I don't know. Possibly that is the color. Most people call it British racing green although I doubt there really is a color with that name.

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:55 pm

I have always understood true British Racing Green to be a very dark - almost black - shade of green. I believe this was the colour that the early Jaguar Le Mans cars wore but there is a great deal of confusion as lighter shades were used in subsequent events. The very dark green, in my opinion, is truly beautiful, and if I may say, a sophisticated option.

Kenmgtc

Post by Kenmgtc » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:13 am

I had an opportunity, a few days ago ironically, to inspect a very original car originally shires green then overpainted at some point in “BRG”. You can easily see the dramatic difference in this photo. Shires Green is almost the color of the current Moss interior green. Gooogling some images shows a range of Shires green cars; it suits the car well, although I’m not a fan of nearly matching interior and exterior color on T cars.
Good luck!
Attachments
Shires green under later BRG repaint
Shires green under later BRG repaint
Ken Klemmer
1948 TC 5510

Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:55 pm

Info in this file on our website:
http://www.mg-tabc.org/special-files/mg ... s-v2.1.pdf

I don’t know the accuracy of the color codes.
I suggest contacting Tom Metcalf at Safety Fast Restoration in Mansfield Ohio. He knows all the proper color codes.
Tom Wilson

Mark Strang

Post by Mark Strang » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:02 pm

I've met Tom at various shows. In fact, I was in a concours event recently where one of his restorations in green was in my class. It was a great color. I'll have to contact him. It's probably the easiest way to find the proper color.