XPAG rocker shaft

Discussion of TABC-related matters
timandgerda

XPAG rocker shaft

Post by timandgerda » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:06 am

I am rebuilding an XPAG from parts (more parts than I would like!) and have a problem. The rocker shaft is 14" long as per early XPAGs and I ordered a replacement the same length. I have now noticed - during the rebuild - that no washers were fitted at the spring ends. When I try to fit them the shaft seems to be too short. The head has number 22952 cast in to it. Do I have a TD head and so do I need the longer shaft? Are the rockers the same for all shafts as I have replaced them all as well? Alternatively should I just build it without the spring washers, as I found it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

timandgerda

Re: XPAG rocker shaft

Post by timandgerda » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Found the answer to my problem on B&G website as below:

The rocker gear fitted to the TD engine up to engine No TD9007 was the same as fitted to the TC with shorter bosses on the straight rockers, Nos 1,4,5,& 8, than on the angled rockers and with washers only at the outer ends of the end springs. From engine No XPAG TD/9008 rockers Nos 1,4,5 & 8 were changed to have the same length boss and bush as the angled rockers. The damping springs were changed to suit, washers were fitted between the ends of the springs and the rockers and a longer rocker shaft was fitted (14.75”).