'water on the head', no not that one, the cylinder head!

Discussion of TABC-related matters
bloodysalmon

Re: 'water on the head', no not that one, the cylinder head!

Post by bloodysalmon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:12 am

Incidently, what do you recommend to be the torque setting for the head nuts then? :)
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615

Gene Gillam

Post by Gene Gillam » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:24 am

Chris...all of the torque settings can be found here: http://www.mg-tabc.org/library/torque.htm

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:52 am

What a mystery we have here. If it were me, I would take the head off and try to find where it was coming from. Perhaps the engine builder would be willing to help with this since he assembled it.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:20 am

The factory torque recommended for head studs is 50#, which is the limit of the materials they used - fairly soft. Even at that there can be considerable stretch, causing uneven torque.

The ARP head studs I have made and sell, of superior materials and with rolled threads, are torqued to 60#, and are much used on racing engines with high stress. See mgtrepair.net for details.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:02 pm

Chris. It is always possible that a piece of crud - or even swarf from the machining - may have fallen out of the head while it was being fitted. I have had this happen and had to clean everything and start again. If I hadn't noticed it then a similar problem might have occurred. Your engine builder may have unfortunately missed something simple like that.

I remember collecting a block from Cotterell engineering in Clay Cross who were supposed to have cleaned it following a rebore. Accidentally, the block tipped over in the back of my car and a pile of scarf fell out. Of course they were sorry but it shouldn't have happened.

bloodysalmon

Post by bloodysalmon » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:51 am

Hi Ray, good to hear from you. I suspect this wont be the issue as any muck wont cause water to be drawn up ALL 10 head studs.
On a positive note; I have bled the brakes today, greased throughout and sorted the steering to enable me to drive a little more safely out there. I've only gone around about 2 miles slowly but ... I think the problem is reseeding as the engine beds down ... going for a 4-5 mile drive tomorrow. Having not been on the road since late 60's I'll driving with more than a slight trepidation. Oh, and as this is an 'oily-rag' restoration but more like a resurrection!

bloodysalmon

Post by bloodysalmon » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:54 am

Just had a thought; thinking about the other forum question about engine differences between TC and TD. Well, I knew my TC1472 had a replacement engine as its stamped on a square plaque stating so. However, I did think it was a TC one but I now realize its not, its a TD so ... is it possible even though I have had a new gaskets, would it be feasible to suggest that a TC head gasket on a TD block/head may create the scenario of water capillary action up the threads?

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:53 am

It would make no difference. The water holes don't come anywhere near the head studs. I suppose if there was a LOT of corrosion then perhaps that could be an issue, but mixing heads and blocks shouldn't have any effect. Here is a photo of a banana hole (TC / early TD) head.
Attachments
MG TC Head
MG TC Head
tc-head.jpg (87.86 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com