Wire wheel testing

Discussion of TABC-related matters
jddevel

Wire wheel testing

Post by jddevel » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:54 am

During my first long journey last weekend and following new tyres and obviously having the wheels balanced and tracking checked following lhd to rhd conversion at fitting it was found that something was not quite right. So during the journey and 200 odd miles in had all 4 wheels balanced again finding them out. One wheel slightly possibly buckled ( this was put on the rear). However inspite of this just over 50 mph the "wobble/vibration" although much improved returned. So two things. Firstly who in the UK is recommended for wire wheel "checking" and second any other things that could be the cause please?

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: Wire wheel testing

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:05 pm

I don't know any shops in the UK but you may check with Longstone Tyre or Vintage Tyres for recommendations. Flat spots can be removed from rims and bent rims can be straightened. In my experience however, an old beat up rim will never be perfect. I hate to recommend the stuff normally, but dyna-beads might be something that would help if you have wheels that won't balance due to many years of road damage. I have original rims still on my TC and despite my best efforts they are not perfect at highway speeds.

Beyond that, you can also suffer vibration from hubs that are out of round, from tires that don't run true, and from play in the steering or suspension.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:41 am

"Obviously" tire balancing is required on TF wheels.

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:35 am

Perhaps a better title might have been "Wire Wheel Replacing." I have tried straightening and re-lacing wire wheels, but have found that they are far more trouble than they are worth. Stainless spokes alone cost nearly as much as a new wheel, and straightening requires a 100-ton press. I now buy new wheels for both early and late T-series wheels.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair.

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:37 am

Thanks Steve. Car imported from US from estate sale and its previous recently completed renovation. Wheels as new with no obvious signs of distress. Wheels balanced on new tyres fitted and then again after around 500 miles on the first long trip at "open road" speeds following the obvious vibration problem. Looks as if the things to check some how are hubs, steering and suspension.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:57 am

Oh, a TF. That's slightly different but the same idea. I don't typically straighten bent rims on the wider wheels and like Tom I don't re-spoke them either. The cost of replacement is very reasonable on those sizes. On a TC wheel however, you can re-spoke the wheel for far less than replacement cost. So on those I repair and rebuild as needed. I don't use stainless spokes, I use steel. Spokes and nipples for five wheels cost me about $325 on the last set I did a few years ago.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com