TC EXU Turn Indicators on older TCs

Discussion of TABC-related matters
timberstone

TC EXU Turn Indicators on older TCs

Post by timberstone » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Please help us resolve a problem with preservation of "Boxley" -- an early TC with #0820.
Around the time of, or before, 1968 there was a Ministry of Transport rule about all cars needing tail/stop/turn indicators with no exceptions. At the time, the Scottish owner hung aftermarket lamps that were huge and disfigured the rear wings.
These lamps have now been removed and the disfigurement to the fenders repaired. However, now have NO tail/stop/turn lamps - indicators except temporary "hang-ons"
Question Number One:
What is the consensus opinion -- pros and cons -- about using TC EXU Rear turn indicator, brake and side lamps, on
any TC that did not have them originally?
(Current supplies come with double filament socket and bulb, and mount to sides of fuel tank with brackets, similar to TC EXU models.)
Are there LED bulbs for these? If so, are the LED bulbs desirable?
Question Number Two:
Ditto opinion/ consensus about using "D" lamps mounted high in place of the EXU rear lamp - turn indicators - on any TC that did not have them originally?
Octagonally yours, Boxley (Robert and TC0820)

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: TC EXU Turn Indicators on older TCs

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:06 pm

While I don't have separate indicator lamps on my own TC, I wouldn't tell anyone else not to install them. I think you're on the right track using not only period appropriate parts but actual EXU (or similar) bits. Personally I don't think D-lamps mounted up high would look good at all. I would rather see smaller lamps. I've seen a few cars with EXU-style lamps mounted high on the tank sides as extra brake lamps, and then the old "lorry" style turn indicators mounted to the rear corners of the body. I've also seen many people install a 3rd brake lamp behind the spare tire.

I prefer the clean look, so I have double filament bulbs in the front running lamps. In the rear, I used to have the brake lamp double as a turn indicator like many cars of the 50s-70s did, but now with LED inserts I have yet to fit a relay to allow this function.

I don't like LED bulbs in general, but in the D-lamps I consider it a matter of safety. The originals are simply way too dim, especially for being only 6" off the ground.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

timberstone

Post by timberstone » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:35 pm

Then we will probably do the EXU modification and just use bright incandescent bulbs in the lamps -- and not have to use LEDs with the relay modifications those entail.
Octagonally yours, Boxley (Robert and TC0820)

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:53 pm

I should have mentioned to check with Lew Palmer on the D-lamp LED inserts. I've heard rumor that his newer designs have a turn circuit. Mine are from Skip Kelsey so they're pretty old. Skip sold the design to Terry Sanders, who then sold it to Lew.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:04 am

I have double filament bulbs in the front lamps also and double D lamps mounted low on either side of the number plate at the rear, I have installed double filament bulbs in those with an extra smaller brake light bulb as I recall. The issue is of course brightness of the lamps but also drivers over taking are not used to looking down low and virtually do not see the lamps. If you really want to be seen probably some sort of arrangement behind the spare is a better idea and I have seen removable light bars held by magnets on top of the petrol tank. Most of my driving is done on local roads and I do use arm signals as to my intent. I think festooning bolt on lamps on the rear of a TC really just provides a false sense of safety.