Hello fellow members

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Black Sheep TC

Hello fellow members

Post by Black Sheep TC » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:39 pm

This is my first thread here and I thought I might introduce myself. I am new to this group, though I've been on a few of the other MG groups as well as many of them on facebook. I purchased TC 6676 in June of 2015 following a rather exhaustive search, one was a promising lead that was overpriced but fell through. Be that as it may, some of you may be familiar with the car and if you are I'd love to hear.
This car was owned by Mike Williams in the late '60's/early '70's. He purchased the car as a basket case (as was the condition I received the car in as well). After he completed his build as a member of the Chicago MG Car Club took part in the rally through Canada into New Hampshire for the GOF. That trip was written up in the March 1972 Road and Track magazine. That's really the only information that I have about the car up until I purchased it from Martin Cooke of Abingdon Spares. The car was with the company from before Martin bought it. How they got it I'm not sure.
Like I said I've owned the car nearly 4-1/2 years and I've made great progress on the restoration. I should be finished within a few months. It is a departure in many ways from a standard concourse resto but I'll leave that to future posts. In the meantime I look forward to contributing to the group.

Lou

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: Hello fellow members

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:46 pm

Welcome Lou! I look forward to seeing your progress. I've just begun restoration on TC9849, which sits alongside our beloved TC8975. One place you can search for your car (if you haven't already) is the 1960 TC Motoring Guild International TC Register. The register itself is no longer maintained, you may get lucky and find mention of your car in it.

See here: http://www.tcmotoringguild.org/history/imgtcr/
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Black Sheep TC

Post by Black Sheep TC » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:44 pm

Steve, I had looked there. Although there were a few that were very close to mine in both chassis and engine number, including one built the same day, mine wasn't among them. I have a few pictures that were taken when Mike owned it. I spoke to the gentleman that brought Mike in to the MG club. Someone else reached out to me that knew Mike when he was a kid and remembers my car but that's about it. No information prior to that. I know that Mike passed away in '86 when the car was in PA I believe, then it wound up in MA and was already in pieces or taken apart then. It's ok, the car has enough interest all on her own without knowing the first roughly 20 odd years.
I run a group on Facebook called Vintage British Engine Swaps. I update my progress and photos over there. I'm new to this format but I could do the writeup and build thread here too. By the way, it's nice to speak with you. I must have watched "For the Love of Cars" at least 1/2 dozen times by now. It mostly serves as an inspiration/fire under my butt to get back on the car and get it finished. I've lost track of a few little parts, etc. I thought I'd be able to get it done in about a year like I did with my '56 MGA which was in much, much worse condition. Oh well, these things happen.

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:54 am

Lou, it may help if you read the blog on my rebuild. go to http://www.frenchblat.com/ and click on MG TC. It's quite long as it records every day over 13 months but there is a technical index which may help track things down a bit quicker than read it all.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

Black Sheep TC

Post by Black Sheep TC » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:43 pm

Norman, thank you. I was reading along your build. For awhile we were about at the same progress. You gave me the idea for the durable nylon rod shock bushings. I got tired of messing with the rubber and it's not something I want to deal with again. I've had nothing but bad experiences with rubber bushings. Spring hanger bushings are already all cracked and the chassis has always been in the garage, out of the sun. I may machine those out of nylon too. Right now I'm finishing the engine swap bits and some custom body pieces. Where should I post a build thread here?

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:02 pm

You can start a thread right in this forum if you like.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com