Brake query..

Discussion of TABC-related matters
SteveT

Brake query..

Post by SteveT » Fri May 08, 2020 7:02 am

I'm puzzled why the rear drums on my TC get so hot after a run. I've checked the adjustment, cylinder return and handbrake cable adjustment and the car rolls easily without any noises or binding. It has Alfin drums. Compared to the fronts they are HOT.
I expected something to be sticking or wrongly adjusted but no. Strange!
TC 6927

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: Brake query..

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri May 08, 2020 9:23 am

Maybe a silly question, but are the fronts working? Normally the fronts get hotter because they're doing more work. If they weren't functioning correctly then perhaps the rears would be working overtime. Also I wonder if the rear axle could be running out of oil and the diff/bearings getting hot? Just thinking out loud, really. If the brakes aren't dragging then I just can't imagine where the extra heat is coming from!
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

SteveT

Post by SteveT » Fri May 08, 2020 10:25 am

Not a silly question.. I did wonder, and to be honest I thought the braking perfomance poor so I did a quick check by seeing if the wheels locked up while jacked up and pressing the pedal. They did but I'm not sure if it's possible for one piston to be free ( enough to lock the wheel by hand) and the other not. I guess it's a drum off and look see required.

The diff was over filled when I got it so I took the level plug out to allow some out so I know that's ok.

Thanks, I'll look into it and report back!
TC 6927

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Fri May 08, 2020 12:05 pm

What your pedal feel like? Front brake lines can be tricky to bleed on the TC.

SteveT

Post by SteveT » Fri May 08, 2020 2:09 pm

Hi, pedal if anything feels too hard, very little travel.

I’ll pull the front drums tomorrow and make sure all the pistons are moving.. Not sure what else to check.
TC 6927

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Fri May 08, 2020 2:39 pm

Offhand, it sounds like the rear brakes may be adjusted way too far out, and the fronts too far in. When you adjust each wheels brake, be sure the wheel is turning.

SteveT

Post by SteveT » Sat May 09, 2020 2:18 am

Checking cylinders and they look new and correct front to rear but found one side of the o/s/f seized . The car wasnt used for over a year. Not sure if that being seized is enough to cause the rears to work so hard? But unseized and cleaned up and refitted, I'll see if it now decides to leak.
When I can get out again I'll check its effect on the over heating rears.
TC 6927

SteveT

Post by SteveT » Sun May 10, 2020 1:34 am

Well short run but seems ok, brakes definitely feel like they are working now and rears no hotter than the fronts. Strange that just one half of a cylinder not working would make so much difference.

Only fly in the ointment was coming to a halt half way up a local hill, seemed to be suffering from a vapour lock issue. No fuel supply out of the pump which is new, disconnected the pipe and after a while it came back and filled the glass filter.

Some rusty bits in the filter so cleaned those out and the bowls..checked the pump filter and nothing in that. If it's been standing a while I'm guessing some rust from the tank is working it's way through.

One job after another!
TC 6927

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Sun May 10, 2020 2:15 am

Old cars are always going to be one job after another. Just have a look at the routine servicing requirements. The mileage between some of the minor service items is such that if you took one on holiday you would probably have to plan in some servicing at the mid point! I still remember going camping in our family Morris Traveller in the '60's and a mandatory item to pack was the tool box. I'm still not sure how we got three of us, a dog and some very bulky camping gear to fit in/on it.

bloodysalmon

Post by bloodysalmon » Sun May 10, 2020 4:29 am

yes I remember my Dad building a list up of parts to drive down to Cornwall in a 1930's Singer Le-Mann which took usually 13 hours! Somethings you can't counter for, especially when the windscreen wiper broke; mind you a bit of sting fed outside either side-screen enabled my mum to pull firstly left then right to keep the rain off. Those were the days!
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615

SteveT

Post by SteveT » Mon May 11, 2020 1:11 pm

I know, old habits die hard. I still carry some tools and spares in the hope that I won't need them. Its perfectly possible to build reliability into old cars, some preventative maintenance is essential, even if its just a good look and spanner check every so often. We have all become used to just jumping in and driving the modern stuff, cant remember when i last checked the oil level on my daily driver.. but what fun is that? I recall some lengthy journeys forty or more years ago in even then some very old cars, and what a sense of achievement when we made it! happy days..
TC 6927