TC sump baffles

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Ray White

TC sump baffles

Post by Ray White » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:35 am

While having the sump off it occurred to me that there might be a better design of baffle than the one fitted. I have seen pictures of a TD sump baffle which looks like an improvement but I would be interested if any one here has made their own. With the take up pipe to one side there seems to be little to prevent surge on sharp left handers resulting in temporary oil starvation. On the TC there also seems precious little to prevent the bores becoming inundated from crankshaft splash.

I would value a second opinion and suggestions from others here especially anyone who has ben there, done that and presumably got the tee shirt!

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: TC sump baffles

Post by Steve Simmons » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:50 am

I've heard of a couple people coming up with a supposedly improved baffle but I can't remember who. My first thought would be to give Manley Ford a call. Or any of the other racer types. The TC does have a tendency to starve itself of oil in extreme left turns.

Or there is this from W.F.K. Wood...
The TC and early TD had the pickup on the left side of the sump so that some starvation took place in hard left corners. It is wise to replace this unit with the later type (168727). Build a vertical baffle plate around the scoop to minimize surge during acceleration. For five-quart sumps, this scoop should be shortened about one inch to ensure good circulation around its opening.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:00 pm

I am not sure what is meant by a "five quart " sump. Aren't all TC sumps the same then?

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:14 pm

I always thought the original baffle design was pretty clever. Keep your pickup screen clean and the sump filled to the right level and you will probably not ever experience a problem. Anyway, engines can run without damage for a very short while without oil flow. How long a high g left hander we talking about? If people are talking about racing, get a dry sump system.

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:37 pm

The early TD (and I assume TC) sumps holds about 5 US quarts; later TD and TF sumps hold a quart more. Racers and spirited drivers would often install a larger sump on an early car, for better lubrication and cooling.

Unfortunately, there can easily be mix-ups over time, in dipstick length and markings, and dipstick tube lengths. A while ago I worked on a TD that ran badly and leaked oil. It turned out to have a short dipstick and a home-made long tube, and therefore was filled with almost 8 quarts of oil! A shorter-measured tube and less oil and it runs better, quieter, and smoother.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

EdCallo

Post by EdCallo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:35 am

What I found was that the TC oil pickup is too high off the bottom of the pan. I modified my TC pickup to use a TD pickup I got from Bob G. so I was able to use all the oil in the pan. Also added a baffle. Have pictures somewhere but not sure. On a phone? In a camera? On a computer? If I come across I will share