'49 TC exterior paint colors

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Mark Strang

'49 TC exterior paint colors

Post by Mark Strang » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:14 am

I'm sure this topic has come up on this forum but I can't find any info on it. I'm looking for the the current green R-M paint code/stock number for TC 7801 that can be traced back to the original color. I restored a TD several years ago and used R-M paint. The original red code was BM121R and made by R-M according to several sources that I had available. When I contacted R-M they were able to identify the color and gave me the current code for the paint which when applied, matched what I believe to be the original color or close enough for my purposes.
I recently contacted R-M again to get the current color code for the "49 green. They only showed a code for a color called Woodland Green which in their records showed being used on 1950-1953 MG's. Woodland was indeed listed as one of the colors for TD's. They also showed a green called Almond Green but they said that their records showed it was used on MG's from '61-72. Almond green however, was shown as one of the colors for TD's.
My question is this, which green was used for a '49 TC. I need to stick with R-M because of the primers and other products that I use in my paint work. I can get a pint of each and try them out but I figure that someone in this group knows whether the color is Almond or Woodland. Once I get this answer, I can get a sample and try it out to see if it is correct. Hopefully one of these is proper. It seems as if there are a lot of various greens used on our cars with most being different from each other. I'd like to start with what I think might be correct before I try to chase down what appeals to me but what not be correct.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: '49 TC exterior paint colors

Post by Steve Simmons » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:29 pm

Shires Green is correct for TC. I've heard rumor of very late TCs being painted in Almond Green, which was used on TD. I've never seen one though, at least not in what could be original paint.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com