TC sidescreens

Discussion of TABC-related matters
antijam

TC sidescreens

Post by antijam » Thu May 14, 2020 10:17 am

I've just recovered my original sidescreen frames with covers from Moss and finished them with spoon ended 'chrome' strips. The strips on the front screens butt together fairly well but those on the rears are short - so much so thsat they will not retain the two end fixing bolts.
screens.jpg
I've queried this with Moss and they're checking to see if there's a known difficulty, but I'm wondering if anyone else has fitted Moss screens and found the same problem?

Ray White

Re: TC sidescreens

Post by Ray White » Thu May 14, 2020 11:15 am

I can't help with your problem antifoam but I have often wished there was a source of trim that could be cut to size and mitred like the original.

Anyone know of such a source in the U.K.?

bloodysalmon

Post by bloodysalmon » Thu May 14, 2020 11:24 am

Hi, I bought the perhaps the same kits through the Octagon club, a little cheaper but the same compromised ends pieces. It was obvious from the start that they wouldn't reach tip to toe in the corners, so some adjustment I thought had to be made.
One thing I can see though is that the top strip you have fitted doesnt have sufficient bend/curve. This enables you to force the 2 vertical (almost) pieces closer to the corners. It will not be perfect and there is little allowance to shift anything closer because of the existing holes in the frame. Making/having new frames makes it a little easier to bridge the difference.
Cutting the material afterwards was pretty tricky with only one go at it too. I have 2 sets to do; the 2nd set I know how to do better next time. I think one corner of the 4 strips I had to squeeze the metal to crimp the end sufficiently to hang on to the stud because the lengths aren't really long enough
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615

antijam

Post by antijam » Thu May 14, 2020 11:58 am

bloodysalmon wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:24 am
.....One thing I can see though is that the top strip you have fitted doesnt have sufficient bend/curve. This enables you to force the 2 vertical (almost) pieces closer to the corners. It will not be perfect and there is little allowance to shift anything closer because of the existing holes in the frame......
Thanks for the feed back - I'm obviously not the only one to have a problem. Your point re the curve on the top strip is well taken but as you point out, using the original frames leaves little room for adjustment.

When I queried with Moss the lack of the original trim where the ends had to be mitred, I was told someone had scarpered with the material and all the manufacturing fixtures! I'm wondering if a trim section from another car - MGB body trim or TR6 sill trim might be a source of raw material. The mitre corner pieces would have to be hand made but that wouldn't be too difficult and one would surely end up with a neater job

trim.JPG
trim.JPG (38.6 KiB) Viewed 1357 times

Still, I guess nobody ever fits the side screens anyway... ;)

Franz Tenbrock

Post by Franz Tenbrock » Thu May 14, 2020 12:19 pm

Hello
i tried to make a drawing from the sidescreens with freecad, so everybody has the original measurment
My TA has replica sidescreens and they doesn t look good
no strip set.
i also think that the measurment is not exactly
so i asked for correction of my drawing,
i havent bougt the strip set because it is really expensive for such a little part of metal and won t fit exactly, so spent a lot of money and it doesn t fit.
i am looking for a cheaper way to make a strip set what will fit to my car

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1207&sid=f3b5d3114d ... 4242179618

print it take a pencil and give me your measurment, take a picture and load it up here and i will make a good grawing for all
i think really easy to weld it for a little money
Best Regards
Franz

3D Print: CJR3 case for Lucas340, individual Titan-X spark plug holder, resin printed octagon hazzard light switch and some more,

John Cockrem

Post by John Cockrem » Sun May 17, 2020 4:31 pm

I lost the driver`s side side curtain a couple of years ago, scrounged a frame locally, my son did a very good job of sewing up the fabric, and I made the "chrome" strips out of the stainless waist trim off a wrecked Peugeot 404. The right width but a bit flatter than the original but takes the TC fasteners. Very hard to pick the difference and cost me nothing!
John Cockrem TC2268