Rebuilding XPAG 9204

Discussion of TABC-related matters
timandgerda

Re: Rebuilding XPAG 9204

Post by timandgerda » Thu May 21, 2020 12:59 pm

Hi Steve,
I used G Bland and Sons at Barnsley for all my engine machining last year. They were excellent and went to great lengths to get everything right. I had to have my block line bored for new bearing caps and the cam bearings fitted and bored as they were missing from my spare block (original block was the wrong one). I still have the crank seal tool I made for centering the seal carrier if you need it as mentioned before. Cheers. Tim.

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Sat May 23, 2020 6:03 am

Hi Tim, thanks for the offer of the crank seal tool. I'll take you up on that when I get to that stage. Hopefully by then I will be allowed to come and collect it. Also, thanks for the recommendation for the engine machining. Their website doesn't mention being closed at the moment so, even though it's an hour from me I'll give them a call.

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Sat May 23, 2020 6:19 am

I've been taking some measurements today using a dial gauge to work out what needs replacing. The discovery of date stamps on some of the parts has shown that the engine was rebuilt in the latter half of the 1990's. I know that it was off the road for about 10 years since then. This explains why many of the parts look slightly worn, but not excessively so. My measurement results were as follows:

i)The end float on the crank is 7 thou. I think that the recommended float is between 2 and 5 thou, so I'm a bit over, but is it enough to have to replace the shells which otherwise seem in good condition?

ii) The crank has been reground to 30 thou and the surfaces seem in good condition.

iii) End float on the big ends is about 14 thou. I've not seen any discussion of end float for these so I don't know if it matters as presumably the pistons sitting in the bores centre them anyway (plus they must need at least the same end float as the crank to stay centred on the cylinder bores when the crank moves). As near as I can work out, there is 4 thou play between the big end shells and the crank. I need a new set of big end shells anyway, so some of that will probably be taken out.

iv) After I cleaned it up, there was 9 thou play between the camshaft and the front bearing (the one in the earlier pictures). That seems like too much so I'll need a new one, which is a pity as it cleaned up quite well.

I'm going to have to find other jobs to do on the restoration now as I'm stuck on progress with the engine until I find an engine shop that's open.