Hi from Jonzjob, ex TC owner.

Post photos of your car here, plus any stories or photos you want to share!
Jonzjob

Hi from Jonzjob, ex TC owner.

Post by Jonzjob » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:59 am

Hello folks. I have only just found your forum and have been looking to see if I can find out some things about my 1946 MGTC.

I am ex R.A.F. and spent 2 ½ of my 14 years in the mob in Singapore. I was an aircraft electrician. I had an ols Austin A30 and was looking around for something a bit better when I was told about an R.A.F. Regiment officer who was selling his TC. When I saw it it hadn't moved for probably 6 months or so, but I thought what the hell and bought it for280 Singapore $, about £35. With the help of a couple of mates we got the tyres pumped up and they drove my A30 back to my house with me rattling my teeth out in the TC because of the flat spots caused by the tyres being flat for so long. I parked it up and worked on it for about 3 months before it was 'drivable'. Then I started to enjoy it :bow:

I joined the FDCS, Forces Driving Club Singapore, and had some wonderful fun in the various competitions like the driving tests (around the barrels and sprint type things) Once it was up and running properly I got rid of the A30 and the TC was my primary transport.

I wanted to upload a photo, but haven't been able to?

If you would like to hear more then please just ask. I loved my TC and cried when I sold it before leaving Singapore, but I just didn't have the cash to ship it back.
Never forget that you are unique. Just like everyone else.
John.
https://johnamandiers.wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: Hi from Jonzjob, ex TC owner.

Post by Steve Simmons » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:23 am

Welcome, John! Interesting story about your TC. I wonder where it is now. If you remember the car number then maybe we can find it.

See this thread for hints on using the forum: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14

here is the relevant section on image attachment:

ATTACHING IMAGES TO YOUR MESSAGE
  • To attach images, go to the "Full Editor" by clicking the button below the Quick Reply area (at the bottom of each thread). To attach an image to your post, simply drag the image from your computer into the reply box. Alternately, you can do it the old fashioned way by clicking the "Attachments" button and then "Add file".

NOTE: When attaching images, they must be 2mb or less in file size, and 3200 pixels or less in physical size. Optionally you can also enter a "file comment" which will be displayed with the attachment in your post. You can attach up to ten photos per post.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Jonzjob

Re: Hi from Jonzjob, ex TC owner.

Post by Jonzjob » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:51 am

Thank you Steve. I think that I have got it, I hope?

This is me in the Old Thompson Road Sprint. About a mile long and a very twisty road, but I had an advantage in that I used to drive along there every day to work!
MGTC 2A.jpg
I don't think that it was a 'standard' build though and I was told that it had raced in the 1958 Formula Libra Singapore GP? I know that the block had been skimmed to up the compression ratio and that it had 10" alloy finned brake drums.
MGTC 3.jpg
I am not at all certain, but I think that the chassis number was either 1464 or 1644. One of thos numbers was my FDCS mambership number?

As you can see from the top photo, I had fitted 16 X 600 wheels and tyres on the rear and it really improved the stability.

When I got it it was in a bit of a state and as it was the only TC on the island I had a lot of guessing to do and one of the things was rebuilding the dash. I later found out that I had got that wrong by putting both the speedo and tacho in front of the driver, but at least it kept my ex happy at not seeing the speed ;)

I will post some more photos when I find them.
Never forget that you are unique. Just like everyone else.
John.
https://johnamandiers.wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1