TC Forever More Tub Frame Modification and Tub Build

Discussion of TABC-related matters
robj

Re: TC Forever More Tub Frame Modification and Tub Build

Post by robj » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:02 pm

So Guess this is where the real fun begins. I'm now starting to understand how completion of the tub takes so long.

Despite the fact that my Diff. Ramp and Diff. Cover were spot on at 32 3/4", the bottom of the Hinge Pillars when clamped to the Main Rails were at 41 5/8" not the 42" in TCF. I ended up using my porta-power to spread the rails slightly, leaving it sit overnight with some tension. That did the trick and I tightened the frame bolts at the 42".
IMG_6936.jpeg
I think the Bulls Horn needs to be opened up on the left side as that's a little tight and doesn't appear to be at 90 degrees. I'm guessing the torch, some wet rags to contain the heat and a little tweak ought to do it.
IMG_6937.jpeg
Burning question#1 [of many to come I'm sure] In FTFU there's a diagram with measurements and a note; "Inside Top Front Corner of door Post- 45 1/2"...
IMG_6940.jpeg
Exactly where is the "Inside Top Front Corner of door Post"???
IMG_6941.jpeg
Burning question #2. Looking at the beauty of some finished tubs and I'm really wondering how I make mine look like that?

The question is, looking at the fitment of my pieces, for now focusing on the hinge pillar to Elbow joint, how do you decide what to make fit to what? a little off each? Trim off the "fattest" one?
IMG_6942.jpeg
For the filler pieces, especially the "Rear Wing Block Set" I couldn't find anything about how to attach them so I screwed them in from the rear of the backboard, figuring they'll be covered with metal anyway. Seemed to work.

I'm hoping some of those that have been down this path could help with these questions.

Thanks,
robj
Last edited by robj on Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayF

Post by JayF » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:18 am

Rob
I found some pics of the corner. Ignore the backboard in the picture as that is a mess and what prompted me to take the car apart in the first place however I believe that the arches and upper pieces to be original and untouched.
The circled area in the last picture should not have a gap there. As you can see, they are screwed from the inside. I hope this helps.
Attachments
TC CORNER 1.jpg
TC CORNER 2.jpg
TC CORNER 3.jpg
TC CORNER 4.jpg

robj

Post by robj » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:19 pm

Thanks Jay,
Hard to have too much information. Any photos of original tubs are helpful!

So after quite a bit of agonizing, trial fitting, measuring I came to the conclusion I wasn't real happy with the rear tub timber parts I got from Moss. Mostly the Hinge Pillar, Elbow, and Rear Top Side Rail.
I posed the question here and on "MG Experience" as to who makes decent timbers? One name came up more than once, "Craig Seabrook". Some said he was no longer making timbers, but it appears he's no longer making complete tubs. It was also thought he sold his patterns to Doug at FTFU, but that's not the case either. In fact he supplies timbers to FTFU. [not sure if he's their only supplier]
So Craig isn't pushing the timbers but he does have them and does do beautiful dash and gauge work.
I ordered some parts from him, the pieces mentioned above plus the Latch Pillar and the Scuttle Side Rail.
I'll report back on the fitment.

So while waiting for that, [and anticipating/hoping it goes together well] the next thing needed are the doors.

I sandblasted the worst one first as some wood needs replacing as "some" PO was not exactly a "craftsman" in that regard. I'm actually wondering if his only tool was an axe...
IMG_6948.jpeg
There was some pitting on the inside bottom and face, with a few small through holes, mostly in the forward end.
IMG_6950.jpeg
I made a 2 part patch, one for the outside panel that folds over at the bottom, and one for the inside structure. In hindsight, I should have made it a little longer but that would have got complicated by the curve and involve shrinking .
IMG_6953.jpeg
I got those 2 pieces in pretty nice but ended up with a high spot on the face from a little too much heat, despite cooling the welds with air. Oh well... I ordered a new shrinking disc as mine is sorta shot. I'm hoping that works but I may have to resort to a torch shrink. We'll see. It's going to take a skim coat on the face but less than a 64th of an inch and I can live with that.

Of course I noticed another pin hole or two, forward of the patch. Even with the copper backing it was thin enough it blew right through. I tried chasing it for a moment but no luck.
IMG_6955.jpeg
Ended up making a second patch to go right next to the first one. It looked pretty ugly before grinding but turned out ok. I really think I need to try my hand at TIG welding.
IMG_6957.jpeg
Of course there's 1-2 pinholes but they're in the weld and "shouldn't blow through. Just to be safe I'm making a custom fit piece of copper for a little extra insurance..

As it's Spring, did some mowing and some bush hog work in the field so not much MG work tonight.

robj
P>S> I did tap the plates that go behind the latch for 10/32 machine screws so I did do at least something...
Last edited by robj on Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:59 pm, edited 8 times in total.

robj

Post by robj » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:28 pm

Part 2.

As I said, ugly but cleaned up pretty well. Now for those 2-3 pin holes in the welds. Hopefully no blow-throughs!
IMG_6958.jpeg
IMG_6959.jpeg
I should have made the folded over portion of the face part of the large patch a tiny bit shorter but it was hard to tell that before it was mostly folded over. Next time.

I was thinking I was tapping the support brackets for 8/32 machine screws, but, I depended on memory [never a good thing at 72] and grabbed a #21 bit instead of the #29 I should have used. So it'll be 10/32. Oh well, bigger is better, right?
IMG_6963.jpeg
robj

robj

Post by robj » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:10 am

Started working on the other door.

The good news, after sandblasting in the cabinet, no rust that I can see so far. But I'm replacing most of the wood in that one so we'll see what it looks like inside when the wood is removed.
The bad news?

A fair portion of the outside is covered with over 1/8", almost 3/16s of what appears to be metal reinforced epoxy filler. The sandblast will hardly touch it. Maybe I need new grit. A DA with 40 grit wouldn't touch it either. I think I'm going to try and get at least some off with 36 grit on a rotary sander. Carefully...
IMG_6970.jpeg
No wonder that door felt "heavy"...
IMG_6969.jpeg
I think the fact that it's old makes it harder yet. I actually didn't think they had that type of filler 20+ years ago but if it's not that I don't know what it is.
I've used it myself before but on only very specialize locations. Last time it was on the cooling tins on a VW engine.

And I'm not quite sure why it's there. There's one small dent over a timber part that would be hard to get to but so far that's it. The only thing I can think of is the PO, or some PO was trying to make up for a mis-shaped door instead of using an adjustable strap inside.
IMG_6968.jpeg
But, at least no rust!

robj

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:37 am

Wow, that's thick!
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

robj

Post by robj » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:42 pm

That's what I thought Steve,

And hard as nails. A 36grit on a rotary grinder got most off, leaving just a trace for the sandblast cabinet, [and without scarring the metal too much].
There were a few small dents that were filled and a slight low spot but nothing that warranted that level of filler.

To be honest I think a PO was making up for lack of proper twist in the door with a layer of filler. Makes sense as if the door loosens due to age, shrinkage of timbers, screws/nails getting looser, it would tend to flatten out.

A little spoon and dolly got the worst out but I need to remove the frame to get to the rest.

robj
Attachments
IMG_6976.jpeg
IMG_6977.jpeg
IMG_6978.jpeg

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:15 pm

The previous owner of my '67 MGB GT did something similar. The rear quarters weren't welded on right so there was a big difference between the quarter and the bottom rear of the door. He made up the difference with filler. Needless to say, that has been remedied. Cut, filler strip and re-weld both sides.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com