CSI distributor question.

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Ray White

CSI distributor question.

Post by Ray White » Fri May 24, 2024 1:21 am

I have just connected up a CSI electronic distributor to my TC...but found that to get the flashing blue light to stay on continuously I need to rotate the body so far that the clamping screw no longer locates in the slot provided.

Anyone else experienced this?

DaveAhrendt

Re: CSI distributor question.

Post by DaveAhrendt » Fri May 24, 2024 1:31 pm

I have a CSI Pro in my TC and I didn't run into anything similar. Are you doing the setup like this?

1. Check coil resistance.
2. Set the engine on Top Dead Centre, using the original timing marks at the flywheel or crankshaft pulley, check that the rotor of the old distributor points to the number one ignition cable of the cap.
3. Remove the old distributor and fit the CSI.
4. Disconnect all wires of the ignition coil, connect the wirings now like shown on the diagrams for negative earth or positive earth cars.
5. Check the wiring again.
6. Switch the ignition on.
7. Turn the CSI body to the left (anti clockwise) until the led flashes.
8. Then slowly turn the CSI body to the right (clockwise) until the blue led lights continuously. The CSI is now adjusted to the static adjustment point. The rotor must be pointing now again to the number one ignition cable of the cap.
9. Tighten the CSI, switch the ignition off.
Dave '46 TC 0524

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Sat May 25, 2024 1:40 pm

I have done as instructed but the distributor has a vertical slot for the clamping screw to go into which does not allow for much movement of the body.

DaveAhrendt

Post by DaveAhrendt » Sun May 26, 2024 5:46 am

Is this on an early TD? Do you use a clamp like this: https://mossmotors.com/163-710-clamp-as ... istributor
I use this clamp on my TC with a spacer to make up for the micro adjuster height. I'm not in a position to pull my CSI but from what I remember you tighten the unit using only the clamp assembly. There is no bolt or screw into the CSI shaft.
It should mount in the engine the same way the old dizzy fit.

Have you contacted Len Fanelli?
Dave '46 TC 0524

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Sun May 26, 2024 6:06 am

DaveAhrendt wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 5:46 am
Is this on an early TD? Do you use a clamp like this: https://mossmotors.com/163-710-clamp-as ... istributor
I use this clamp on my TC with a spacer to make up for the micro adjuster height. I'm not in a position to pull my CSI but from what I remember you tighten the unit using only the clamp assembly. There is no bolt or screw into the CSI shaft.
It should mount in the engine the same way the old dizzy fit.

Have you contacted Len Fanelli?
The instructions do not mention fitting the original clamp so I have left it out.
My car is a TC with it's original engine. A bolt passes through a threaded hole in the casting. The original distributor has a horizontal slot for the bolt to go into... buts the CS1 has vertical slot that does not align with the clamping bolt when the light goes from flashing to steady.

So far I haver not contacted Len.

DaveAhrendt

Post by DaveAhrendt » Sun May 26, 2024 6:22 am

I'm wondering if you have the wrong CSI for a TC? Maybe a CSI for an MGA/B.
The TC would have the bolt with the pin head passing through the clamp into the block engaging the horizontal slot to prevent the dizzy from moving vertically. The MGA dizzy doesn't have that slot.

Google pictures of a 25d (MGA) versus 23d (TC) See if that helps.
Dave '46 TC 0524

DaveAhrendt

Post by DaveAhrendt » Sun May 26, 2024 7:28 am

Ray,

This is a picture of two distributors in my garage. The one on the left is my TC original and the right is from my MGA.
The shaft on your CSI should look like the one on the left.

I've also edited this reply. I think you need the original clamp and possibly a spacer. These set the depth that the CSI sits in the block. This depth sets the mesh between the cam gear and the dizzy gear. You need these to mesh correctly.
Definitely get in touch with Len. He knows more about this than I do.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X4waPW ... sp=sharing
Dave '46 TC 0524

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Sun May 26, 2024 1:50 pm

The photos don't come straight up but no matter. If I should have a CSI with a horizontal slot then I have been sold the wrong one. That doesn't surprise me knowing the supplier. The instructions were for a mini!

I can re fit the distributor with the clamp which will bring it up a bit. That in itself will turn the shaft and with luck it will be enough to make the vertical slot line up with the bolt.

Worth a try,

DaveAhrendt

Post by DaveAhrendt » Sun May 26, 2024 2:39 pm

Oh well, photos show for me. Google photos of MG-TC and MGA dizzys and compare the shafts. See which one looks like yours. They will be different.
Dave '46 TC 0524

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Sun May 26, 2024 3:37 pm

Yes, I have been sold the wrong one. The trouble is I have had this distributor since 2019 and only just fitted it ...so it is well out of warranty. I could go back to the supplier but I don't hold out much hope after all this time... :(

DaveAhrendt

Post by DaveAhrendt » Sun May 26, 2024 6:08 pm

Where are you located? I may be interested in your non T series CSI.
Dave '46 TC 0524

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Mon May 27, 2024 1:59 am

DaveAhrendt wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 6:08 pm
Where are you located? I may be interested in your non T series CSI.
I am near Derby in England. I have today spoken with the supplier/engine builder who explained that the non XPAG CSI distributor I have is best suited to my supercharged XPAG engine, fitted with a fast road cam. Apparently, there is a risk of over tightening a bolt against the outer shaft and crushing it so I have been advised to do as you have and use a TD clamp. I note your point about using a distance piece/washer.