MG TC Water Temperature Gauge

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Ian F

MG TC Water Temperature Gauge

Post by Ian F » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:34 pm

Having just had the cylinder head removed to have it skimmed as the engine has apparently overheated at some time I am thinking of installing a supplemental water temperature gauge in my 1947 TC to warn me of any potential engine over-heating. I was going to replace the existing oil pressure gauge with a dual water / oil gauge but have been told that this would affect the originality of the car as the factory supplied a separate independent water temperature gauge as an option.

I am told that the gauge was always fitted beside and "to the right hand side" of the rev counter in front of the driver but I am very unsure where the exact positioning of "to the right hand side" of the rev counter is !

I have seen one internet photo where the gauge is tucked down to the extreme bottom edge of the dashboard whilst another has it equidistant between the top and bottom of the dash. Is it a matter of personal preference or is there a correct position for siting the gauge ?

Any advise would be well received as indeed would any photos.

Thanks
Ian F.
TC3867

Duncan M

Re: MG TC Water Temperature Gauge

Post by Duncan M » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:04 pm

Ian-
Of course the correct optional gauge would be the matching green Jaeger. I'd also be interested in how people are routing the sensor line. I have an older, black, Smiths bulb temp gauge that I hung from the bottom of the dash (in a mount) an inch or two to the right of the steering column. I figure the only time I will be checking the temp is sitting at a red light.
Duncan-
TC9866
Last edited by Duncan M on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:45 pm

Did the temperature gauge come as a factory option, or a dealer option? My TC had a modern gauge fitted to the right of the tachometer, which I replaced with a "correct" Jaeger green face gauge. However I doubt that it is in any sort of "correct" location. There is also an EXU turn signal switch on the lower right, obviously not "correct" in any way!
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:59 pm

There was also an engine vacuum gauge option and an oil temp. option along with the water temperature gauge. Here is part of a TC dash with two of the gauges added.
Attachments
dashes.jpg
dashes.jpg (20.97 KiB) Viewed 8258 times

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:08 am

Hard to tell from the drawing, but it appears the higher of the two gauges is in line with the height of the center panel gauges. Seems like a perfect placement, functionally and aesthetically.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

Ian F

Post by Ian F » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:02 am

Duncan

Many thanks for the diagram/ photo. This is more than helpful although would be interested to know which gauge is which. Is the water gauge 20 or 21 ?

Unfortunately I do not have access to detailed records such as yours - which you may have guessed.

Regarding the fitment of the capillary tubing to the water head tank this is I suspect, as Steve infers, a decision involving some personal preference. As long as it neat and tidy under the hood I will sleep at night !

When I get around to fitting I will send some photos for you to decide !

Thanks for your help - it is greatly appreciated.

Ian F.
TC 3867

Ian F

Post by Ian F » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:14 am

Steve

I think you are correct in that the gauges do seem to be at a similar height to the others in the centre of the dash. Indeed this would be my preference as to location.

Extra dials/ gauges could easily bring a certain amount of personal preference to their siting and there can be some confusion as to the "proper" or "MG preferred" siting. Simply drilling a convenient hole where there is space and fitting a gauge can spoil the aesthetics very easily - apologies for being so pedantic !

I really want the comfort of knowing where the gauge would have gone if factory or dealer fitted I suppose and from the diagram that Duncan has posted we seem to have that.

Thanks for your input.

Ian F.
TC 3867.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:47 am

I don't find it pedantic at all! There is a reason why auto manufacturers pay a lot of money to have people with a lot of education and experience design their cars. Everything has to flow together, not just placing individual items where they look good. I think about these sort of details any time I'm working on my car. Not that it's a show queen or anything, but I feel that keeping the big picture in mind makes the difference between a good-looking car and a gorgeous one. It's quite easy to put beautiful accessories on a beautiful car and end up with something that is no longer pleasing to the eye.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

Gene Gillam

Post by Gene Gillam » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:25 pm

I seriously doubt the 'factory' installed any extra gauges in the dash as I don't believe there were any factory options for the TC. Dealers would have installed them wherever they would fit - and if you've ever looked there's not a lot of room in which to put an extra gauge and have it visible to the driver - the gauges in the dash above are going to be obscured most of the time by the driver's hands. I've installed boost gauges for my Superchargers in my dashes and believe me I know placement is a bitch.

Personally, original or not, I'd go for the combo gauge - the addition of another gauge by the driver's hands won't be 'factory' original either.
Last edited by Gene Gillam on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:51 pm

Ian-
The diagram I found is from a recent Abingdon Spares catalog, for your reference. I mounted the black Smiths water temp gauge below dash because my dash is otherwise factory original rexine, etc. If I had a hot rod TC with few original parts I would have just cut another hole in the dash somewhere to stick it along with all the other hot rod stuff.
Last edited by Duncan M on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffnewey

Post by jeffnewey » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:50 am

I have both water and oil Temp. gauges now fitted to my TC.
I didn't want to spoil the original dash so chose to mount them in a double accessory plate under the dash to the right of the tacho. ,they are quite visable and I am happy with the instalation.
The water gauge attaches to the radiator top tank at the factory fitting after removing the blanking cap.The oil gauge enters through a drilled sump plug.
Jeff Newey
TC0489
Australia

Ian F

Post by Ian F » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:47 am

Gene
Thanks for the posting, I note what you are saying about positioning on the dash and would agree that anything to the right of the tachometer would be obscured. Seems the way forward is the dual/combo gauge - original or not !

Thanks again.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:52 am

With my temperature gauge installed on the right, it is partially obscured, but how often do you need to check it? You just move your head a few inches to the side for a full view. Hasn't bothered me a bit in ten years of driving the car, and I like that I retain the "correct" set of gauges. Nothing wrong with a dual gauge apart from factory correctness, but for some reason they have always bothered me. I think the single gauges just feel more vintage.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

Ian F

Post by Ian F » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:55 am

Jeff
Greetings from one Newcastle to another !
Despite my initial mis-givings I think I will install a dual gauge, if only to avoid drilling unnecessarily !
Thanks for your advice on location of the sender into the radiator top tank - I was wondering !
Ian Forrester
TC3867

jeffnewey

Post by jeffnewey » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:39 pm

Attached are photos of oil & temp. gauges and fitting into top radiator tank as on TC0489.
Jeff Newey
TC0489
Australia
Attachments
This is position of oil and a temp. gauges  on TC0489.<br />Jeff Newey
This is position of oil and a temp. gauges on TC0489.
Jeff Newey
This is correct instal. for temp.gauge into top radiator tank on TC0489
This is correct instal. for temp.gauge into top radiator tank on TC0489
TC Temp.gauge 003.jpg (39.91 KiB) Viewed 8187 times

ian theobald

Post by ian theobald » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:21 am

On myTC which is a late 49 model with vinyl dash I ran a straight edge between screws and fitted a guage mid way between screws and places guage at same height as oil guage. Is a green Jaegar type
Looks perfect. One day will wire up a dash light but like hand throttle ,never used. [Come from the Land down Under]
Ive just recieved a new works laptop so most pictures are stored on an external drive so will post one soon.
At least with a vinyl dash can be recovered but think mine looks as meant to be and dont like the thought of hanging under dash as was other black rusty Smiths one but would be a shame to drill into a nice walnut type.
The car is over 60 yrs old so anything done to it is it,s history just like wrinkles [crows feet in paint ]
Ive just fitted a fog lamp on the front now that is off a y type and except that it is 1/2 inch bigger no one can really tell and got it for a fraction of the price original size ones are selling for.
I suppose just depends how exact one wants to aim for but remember that lots of modifications were common after these cars were new.
Good luck and try and sleep easy Ian.

Ian F

Post by Ian F » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:09 am

Thanks Ian,

Look forward to the photo in due course. I would very much like to see one with the gauge in situ.

The discussion has raised some valuable opinions and all of the above suggestions have been taken on board - and indeed have been very welcome. Seems there is no real "one" answer to all of this !

As an aside I have discovered why the engine had overheated in the first place - there had been some improvisation on the head gasket ....... someone had used the wrong one ! It had done a great job at restricting the water flow through the engine. I am pleased to say that I did pick up the problem quickly enough to avoid any major real damage though.

Ian F
TC3867

ian theobald

Post by ian theobald » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:42 pm

hi Ian,not sure if previous message actualy sent so here is a picture of dash just incase.
Attachments
20150320_071450.jpg
20150320_071436.jpg