My journey just starts

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Naresh Jeganathan

My journey just starts

Post by Naresh Jeganathan » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:53 pm

I have just bought myself a 1949MGTC and am about to pick it up tomorrow. Exciting times. I have a lot to learn. I will have lots of questions over time and hope to be able to contribute one day. My first for today is that this particular car has an aftermarket self adhesive orange heating pad on the side of the oil sump that lead to a mains voltage plug that I assume the previous owners would plug it in to heat the oil prior to starting to help with oil flow. Is this needed or useful. The car has minimal modifications and my intention is to keep it as original as possible.
Thank you members.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: My journey just starts

Post by Steve Simmons » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:11 pm

Welcome, Naresh! Unless you plan to start the car in extreme cold, there should be no reason for the heater. Especially with today's oils which handle cold weather much better than those of yesteryear.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:27 pm

Hello Naresh. Where are you posting from? Here in the U.K. there is seldom need for such a devise. A more important additive is anti freeze in the cooling system.

Franz Tenbrock

Post by Franz Tenbrock » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:12 am

Hi
it is a wonderful feeling driving such an old car
most you can make by yourself
you will see
i have a blog from my car s
so years later you have all information on one place
perhaps something for you too

MG TA1932 in Germany - Blog - all problems and ... in this forum
and from my YA here:
https://www.mgexp.com/forum/t-series-an ... 8.4022768/
Best Regards
Franz

3D Print: CJR3 case for Lucas340, individual Titan-X spark plug holder, resin printed octagon hazzard light switch and some more,

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:13 pm

Naresh, maybe the prior owner used the car for short trips? During the heat of summer I can take out the TC for a 70 mile mountainous drive and have never known the oil to heat up much higher than 160F. Coincidentally, about the same temp as the coolant.

If someone wants to take advantage of oil pre-heating, there is nothing wrong in principle, as long as the method used is foolproof -- to eliminate chance of a fire.

Naresh Jeganathan

Aftermarket heating pad.

Post by Naresh Jeganathan » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:12 pm

Thank you very much Gentlemen. You have confirmed what I suspected Steve, oils have come a long way. Ray, I am posting from Melbourne, Australia and specifically live in the Yarra Valley, which is a wine making area with rolling hills and windy roads. Just perfect for TC driving :) As part of getting My TC road registered, we shall be giving it a full service including draining and flushing the radiator and adding the corrected ratio of antifreeze and anticorrosion coolant.
Franz, your blog idea is a great suggestion. I am going to look in to that as well as look in your blog.
Duncan, I did not all all consider the fire risk. What a disaster that would be. It's coming off as the very first past of the restoration journey.
Thank you all for your responses.

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:05 pm

Naresh, My blog may be of help, if you have a few days to read it all! http://www.lotus7news.co.uk/MG-TC-HOME.htm
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

Rob Reilly

Post by Rob Reilly » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:30 pm

I have no idea of the weather extremes in Melbourne, but I can comment on cold weather starting devices I have tried, commonly found in Chicago.
The oil sump or dipstick heaters don't really work all that well for cold starting. They may help with quicker oil circulation after you get the thing started.
Battery chargers give you faster engine cranking, but not better firing if the fuel in the carbs won't vaporize.
The best device I have found for very cold weather starting is a cooling system heater, either in the lower radiator hose, or in a core plug in the engine block. It is left on all night and helped get my XJ12 started when it was -28F here (-33C).
Almost every school bus and snow plow truck here has one. You see the 110V plugs hanging out the front grille. They are always parked outside and need to start every morning before sunup no matter how cold it is.
Attachments
block heater.jpg
block heater.jpg (7.34 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Last edited by Rob Reilly on Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1937 TA 1271

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:44 am

That's interesting, Rob. Not being familiar with such a devise, I assumed the leads from the front grille were for a battery (trickle) charger.

Naresh Jeganathan

Temperature in Melbourne

Post by Naresh Jeganathan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:11 pm

We really do not have extremely cold weather here - the coldest it ever gets here may be -3 deg Celsius. So I was very surprised to see that heater on the sump. Our average winter minimum is probably 4 deg Celsius. We have nothing to complain about but we do!
I think I will make sure I use an appropriate engine oil viscosity and coolant. Out of interest what viscosity oil are owners generally using in their XPAGs these days?

Naresh Jeganathan

Post by Naresh Jeganathan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:19 pm

Wow Frenchblatter - just had a quick look at your first page of your blog - what a project. Thanks for the link - I shall definitely read that.
We look to have started on TC at a similar age. I am still working - soon to turn 62 and will start winding down to retirement in 3 years and hope to get my TC to the point of being restored by then - or there abouts. I'm not in a rush - just want to enjoy tinkering and transforming the car.

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:53 pm

20W50 oil designed for gasoline engines.

John Cockrem

Post by John Cockrem » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:16 pm

Naresh. FYI The T Register of the Melbourne MG Car Club is made up of a group of helpful and very knowledgable people on all aspects of the T series MGs. We meet bi monthly at the clubrooms in Nunawading and we are a friendly bunch.
In the Dandenong Ranges alone there is are 2 TCs in Belgrave, 1 in Monbulk, 2 in Avonsleigh, 1 in Selby, and a TA in Silvan.
There is also a very interesting Holden powered TC in Launching Place deep in the Yarra Valley, your territory!
I am happy to make contact if you wish.
John Cockrem TC 2268(owned for 54 years) Belgrave

Naresh Jeganathan

Post by Naresh Jeganathan » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:34 am

Hi John, sorry for my late reply but work got in the way of recreation. I joined the MGCC Vic just 2 nights ago and did attend the last Rob Roy just to whet my appetite. There are some really gorgeous MGs's in the club. Thank you for reaching out as well John, I really appreciate it. I am amazed at the number of TC's that surround me. I must look out for that Holden powered TC. Sounds scary!
I am on a path of slowly winding down from full time work that should start sometime next year. Currently i work late every Wednesday till 8pm but might try and do a swap with one of my colleagues in order for me to attend the club meetings. My first step to to get my TC a road worthy certificate and then I shall apply for a club permit through the MGCC Vic. The car, though not registered is reportedly fully functional. I took delivery 2 weeks ago but have only had it in 1st gear and reverse as I drove on and off the trailer. Lots of fluids and oils underneath the car but not sure on what part of the normal spectrum this might be! Tomorrow, I am going to get the car on a hoist and have a good look. (my TC is currently being stored at my son's automotive repair shop). The car does have a really firm brake pedal with hardly any travel. The previous owner had added a brake power booster, which I am uncertain if it is really needed and as I would like to keep/restore to as original as possible, wonder if I should remove it or if, like seat belts would be an acceptable compromise for safety.
It will be great to get in contact John as I have much to learn and once again thank you for reaching out.