Best sources for TC interior kits

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Duncan M

Re: Best sources for TC interior kits

Post by Duncan M » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:59 pm

Has nothing to do with sentimentality, Tom. Still waiting for your response to the Clausager reference, citing the new green interior color for TC's starting in '49........ The MMM link was only to show the two pre-war colors of green. Did you think it was for some other purpose?

Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:45 am

Perhaps my research skills have slipped Duncan, but I can find no reference as to different green interior colors in either of Clausager's books "The Original MG T Series, 1989, long by crossword puzzle lap desk) and his updated publication Factory-Original MG T-Series, 2019.

Would you be so good as to direct me to specific pages?

I've disassembled probably 14 original green TD interiors, and at least as many TC green ones over the past 15 years; several other colors as well. If seats have been recovered I can virtually always find evidence of original colors. A different green tone has never appeared on any of those. Additionally, the Connolly Brothers Leather archive I studied in depth (I had access to their order sample card file which still exists, with swatches and color details on all orders) did not show any different green leather colors for MG. There were some darker green shades for Wolseley and Riley, none for Morris or MG.

Clausager did a good job on his 1989 book considering the information to easily be found in 1989. Nice new pictures in the more recent book with a bit more information. I know how hard it is to have accurate details as to originality when writing a book such as this, especially when one is more a generalist on car makes rather than a card carrying member of the Originality Police.

Tom

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:51 pm

I have no use for the Clausager book, either. Reference is this site under resources, special files, TC colors.

I could re-post all the reasons why I know the lighter green interior is correct on the TC, from this thread or the other one. I think it all boils down to a logical oversight on your part-- when I posted the picture of the two tone door cards that I also know are original. In response to those pics in another thread, you claim the Rexine has faded and the leather seats have faded, and that is what I think is a different color. I say the car was locked up in a dry and dark garage since 1955 (and the leather seats are still locked up in the dark) and the car was barely 2 years old when my father bought it, and the colors have NOT faded.

Here is your logical flaw: IF the leather on the seats faded to the light green, and the Rexine faded to the light green, then why has not the dark green leather piping on the door cards faded???? It has not faded, and neither has the light green leather seats or the Rexine. For whatever reason the leather piping (on door cards) was done up by the factory in the standard green, and it has not faded, either. Nothing has faded, Tom.

I doubt very much that any of the "original" interiors you are encountering now are truly original. More than likely they alll were replaced in the 60's 70's or 80's.

You are right that the James C light green color I posted from the MMM thread is not very accurate. It lacks the vibrancy of the original lighter green leather from the factory used on some '49 TC's. The thread does show the basic difference in the two different colors that I am talking about.

How can we explain the idea of why everything on the car except that dark green leather piping on the doors has faded? A dilemma. You are welcome to come look at the car if you like.
IMG_1281.JPG
IMG_1281.JPG (51.83 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
Attachments
IMG_1280.JPG
IMG_1280.JPG (64.04 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
Last edited by Duncan M on Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark McCombs

Post by Mark McCombs » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:46 pm

This is what makes the T cars (especially early Models with stop gap features that may have used previous stock or what was available) so interesting.

Although it has nothing on vintage Italian motorcycles; I have a mid sixties Benelli that has never been touched that has two different wheel rims between front to back...along with fingerprints in the underfender paint.

My then new 2019 ford escape handled odd, then I noticed when I was washing it for the mrs. That the left side had Continental tires and the right had Michelin. That was quite the meeting at the Dealer...they came close to accusing me of some funny Business until they noted I just picked it up just the day before.

So I suspect the variations in green were done with what was a available that week or month without specific mention. I wish some of the old Abingdon folks were still here!

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:56 pm

Mark-
Either they thought it (two colors of green) would look good and/or they already had a lot of the standard green leather piping made up. It does make you wonder if they may have done this same contrasting of color shades on the blue and red cards, too. On purpose.

I actually had those door cards off about 7 years ago. Should have taken some pictures to show the back. Right in the middle of the sheet metal there was a little spot of barely noticeable surface rust, about the size of silver dollar. Both sides in the same spot. Nowhere else. I brass brushed it and hit it with some rust converter. Odd, but happy I checked.
Last edited by Duncan M on Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark McCombs

Post by Mark McCombs » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:08 pm

Duncan

Its hard to know if someone made a conscious choice to use a two tone, or if the outside trim they happened to have on hand was darker, but personally I think it really adds some nice detail...maybe just serendipitous but it breaks up what would be just plain panels. If there's no evidence of different colors using the two tone, it would seem then like a supply issue with the green. I'm envious, and getting ready to install a new moss green interior. Its certainly better than the old green vinyl that was there but ......

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:37 pm

If they used two different greens on the same car then I would assume the usual color was unavailable. It would be VERY odd for them to use two colors on the same panel though. That was not an advertised color pattern. There were some things that could be customized for the customer however, at additional cost. I've not heard of interior paneling being one of them though.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:55 pm

That door card has been staring at me for years and it had not occurred to me that the lack of fade on that dark green leather was so relevant. Tom asked good questions.

A preservation TC is a pretty odd thing, I get that. More than once I have thought about restoring the whole thing, instead of just getting and keeping it physically fit for driving. The whole preservation thing has a strange way of growing on you. I never expected it. As I like to drive the car for a good workout once a week (when roads are dry) the preservation thing is a work in progress, as the miles rack up. One week at a time...

If anybody ever gets a chance at a preservation project that suits their fancy, they should give it a try. A lot more work than it might appear.

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:15 am

I know that I shouldn't mock as people take originality very seriously, but this discussion reminds me of a very funny episode of Blackadder. Not sure if it made it to the US though.
Attachments
true.jpg
true.jpg (32.66 KiB) Viewed 1128 times

Mark McCombs

Post by Mark McCombs » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:56 am

By all means, I prefer (as most) an original car that has some (or lots) patina of use. They are rare as most fell into such disrepair there was little choice than a full blown restoration.

There is a great show from the UK that has been on here in the US called The Repair Shop that shows the restoration of vintage toys, instruments and similar pieces. The efforts to save patina in the repair process is very interesting.

bimmrr

Post by bimmrr » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:33 am

Just took delivery of a TC seat covers set from PJM and very pleased with the quality. Cost me 662 pounds delivered to SC so with exchange was $748. I feel the quality is better than Moss and have never cared for the Moss red used on TC's. I have always thought it had too much burgundy in it. Seat bottoms are easy to install but not looking forward to the seat back as have done one before but many years ago. If anyone has a good video or instructions on doing that seat back please
let me know.

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:04 am

Another vote for Tom Wilson.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement