TC Master Cylinder Installation

Discussion of TABC-related matters
timberstone

TC Master Cylinder Installation

Post by timberstone » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:26 pm

Trying to install the Master Cylinder but not enough room to get the rig into the area between the box hole and the bottom of the brake pedal thread.
Cannot get the end of the extension piece into the box hole in such a way as to leave room to thread the push rod end into brake pedal thread area.
The length of the rig between the end of the extension piece and the push rod screw thread end (that goes into the brake pedal thread) is overall 12 inches.
The distance between the box hole and the bottom of the brake pedal thread is 8 inches.

Surely I am doing something wrong because I have done this job in the distant past, but do not remember what I did (??) to get the rig in there.
Have searched the forums, manuals, books and tech tips but have not found a description of this job -- other than the usual "Assembly is the reverse of disassembly."

Have tried to compress the push rod into the MC chamber but only shorten the full length by about 1 inch -- the amount of plunger depth travel.
Also combined this compression maneuver with screwing the push rod threaded connector all the way into the thread hole at the bottom of the brake pedal in order to shorten the overall length and then trying to maneuver the end if the extension into the box hole, but not enough room to go. .
Seems like the overall length is still too long by at least an inch in order to squeeze into the area.

I am working with the floor board out and the shield off the mounting bracket so that full access seems to be apparent, but wonder what else I may need to remove in order to get this to go down in there??
Any help will be VERY appreciated.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: TC Master Cylinder Installation

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:54 pm

It's hard to picture the exact trouble you're having, but I've run into a couple situations where the only way to get things together again was to take a couple threads off of the push rod. It did not end up too short to get the lock nut on.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Mark McCombs

Post by Mark McCombs » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:19 pm

Would it be possible to thread the push rod all the way into the pedal first, then angle the opposite rounded end thru the end of the MC boot, into the end of the master cylinder?

I don't think that round end is fastened into the end of the MC piston, rather it just fits into the end of the MC piston, correct? Or was this already tried?

Other thought would be is it possible to do this, but with the MC not yet installed in the box, and after the rod is in the MC, then slide the end of the MC into the box slotted hole?
Last edited by Mark McCombs on Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:25 pm

You are correct, sir. I do seem to remember trying that and there was no way it would work. It's been a long time though.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:20 pm

It sounds like the long way around, but removing the clutch pedal turned out to be the fastest way for me when I installed the master cylinders in two TCs last month, I also couldn't figure out why things wouldn't slip into place.

Tom Wilson

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:07 pm

It does seem like it would be easier to do with the floor out, but I seem to recall doing it from below, and had no particular problem.

Kenmgtc

Post by Kenmgtc » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:20 pm

I did mine last year from below and it was very easy. Hardest part was removing and reinstalling the heat shield. I cannot picture why yours is being difficult.
Ken Klemmer
1948 TC 5510

timberstone

Post by timberstone » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:15 pm

The bracket area for the Brake Master Cylinder Assembly is 4 inches shorter than the Assembly
Master Cylinder Area Under Floorboards.jpg
Master Cylinder Assembly Length.jpg
Apart from removing the brake and clutch pedals, or using a disarticulating pushrod
Pushrod New Modification 3.JPG
Pushrod Original disassembled.JPG
The only way to squeeze the assembly is to angle the loose parts with great skill, agility and force
IMG_3965.JPG

timberstone

Post by timberstone » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:22 pm

The pushrod adjusting threaded bolt can be threaded into the bottom of the brake pedal pivot so that the assembly length might be decreased by another 1 inch.
IMG_3735.JPG
By keeping the top of the circlip oriented to the top of the barrel bore and by pushing the piston inside the barrel, the angle of the pieces might be reduced and then allow pushing the pushrod into the piston cavity with the point of a screwdriver. Practicing this maneuver about 10 times ….
IMG_3967.JPG
IMG_3969.JPG
Finally allowed the pieces to go together. Note that the pushrod boot must be on the pushrod to allow the boot installation.
IMG_3971.JPG
Commendations to ALL AND EVERYONE who did this Installation SOOOOO EASILY !!!!!