Transmission front seal

Discussion of TABC-related matters
EdCallo

Transmission front seal

Post by EdCallo » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:14 am

Took car apart to replace clutch. Front seal on transmission is leaking a little. Can I remove the bell housing and replace the seal without taking the transmission apart. I am thinking so, but figured I would ask.

Ed

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: Transmission front seal

Post by Steve Simmons » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:59 am

Yes, the 8 bolts inside the housing hold it to the front of the gearbox case. There may be sealer between that and the case, depending on what the last guy to install it did. Sometimes it's a gasket, sometimes metal to metal. Whatever is there, I'd just put it back how it was because the bearing (hopefully) was already shimmed for pinch.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

ROGER FURNEAUX

Post by ROGER FURNEAUX » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:26 am

hi Ed - as Steve says, you only need to remove the bell housing to change the seal. An important point is to only use the original type of steel-cased leather seal, Payen B128 (=NA50344), and NOT any modern equiv. with rubber, which will not last long! In fact the originals will almost last for ever. They are a special size (1-3/16" x 1-13/16" x 7/16")

I have a small number of these (NOS: they are being re-made but of course cost more!)

Roger

EdCallo

Post by EdCallo » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:28 am

Well as mine is leaking, it most be a modern one in there now.

Funny thing is I took it about as rear of engine is leaking and I expected to see the clutch etc. covered in oil. But is was all really clean. Guess all the oil just runs out the hole with the cotter pin

EdCallo

Post by EdCallo » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:24 am

Put the new seal in over the weekend, Was easier then I though as having never taken a bellhouse off the the trans in over 40 years working on TC's didn't know the seal was in the bellhousing, Which means I put sealant between the bell housing and transmission as seal only prevents oil from getting in the bellhousing and the surfaces of the trans and bellhousing were not smooth enough for a leak tight seal.

Ed