Ignition coil

Discussion of TABC-related matters
jddevel

Ignition coil

Post by jddevel » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:31 am

Due to symptoms displayed I was convinced my TF1500 was suffering from vapour lock. However after what I`d believed would solve the problem ( insulation)after about 45 mins driving yesterday the problem recurred. On further inspection I found the ignition coil exceptional hot. After a further 45mins driving and then a couple of hours "cooling off" whilst at a Nation Trust visit the car whose coil had cooled but not cold drove for a short period well, but then started missing again. Managed to get home but a struggle. It was a round trip of over 130 miles. Hot coil. So the question, is whilst I`m putting on a new coil the old one may well be the original and time will tell if that takes care of my problem, what can cause the coil to overheat and could symptoms be misinterpreted as vapour lock. Condenser, plugs and leads were all replaced fairly recently.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: Ignition coil

Post by Steve Simmons » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:10 am

A failing coil will usually start missing at higher RPMs. The hotter and weaker the coil gets, the worse it will get and the more the missing will creep down to the lower RPMs. I'm not an electrics expert but I believe a breakdown of the coil insulation and/or windings over time is what eventually kills them. A shoddy ignition system is hard on a coil, so if you have bad plugs, wires, etc then that can speed up the coil's demise.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:22 am

I have recently purchased a new coil from 'The Green Spark Plug Co.' It is a traditional REMAX made in England. I have yet to try it but I am hopeful.

Somewhere else you could try is The Distributor Doctor who supplies a quality 12 volt Lucas sports coil (3 Ohms) made in India. I have always found Martin Jay to be most helpful.

Ray.

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:14 am

Thank you Steve and Ray. Having "pinched" the new coil off my TC in restoration I set off today to fill up with fuel from my nearest Gulf garage ( apparently their E5 has little or no ethanol although they have to advertize it as E5) 10 minutes from home car died. I though Oh **** not solved the problem when I realized that after Tuesdays day out I`d not checked the fuel - really must take time out to find out why the "gauge" isn`t working. Quick call to the Misses and the delivery of fuel and away I went. Purred all the way home but not long enough trip to see if problem is solved. Out to a meet on Sunday (Wadebridge Wheels) when I`ll know more.

John Brownhill

Post by John Brownhill » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:23 am

Hi jd
Having spoken to a friend who had similar car problems to you on his TC his problem was the points were sticking
on the pivot when hot so not closing, note these were new points he had fitted, ok when cooled down again.
John

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:09 am

Thanks John for that tip. Anyway just back from a round trip of just under 80 miles and it purred all the way. Now a bit more optimistic that the problems solved. If I fancy it I might put the old one back on in a couple of days and see what happens.