Front Wing Fitting to Body - TC

Discussion of TABC-related matters
SteveW

Front Wing Fitting to Body - TC

Post by SteveW » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:11 am

After a busy summer doing other things where I've not had much time in the garage, I've finally gotten around to working on the front wings. One in particular was in a shocking condition, with the trailing edge being made from what looks like an old baking tray that had been riveted in place and covered with filler to hide it!

After some fabrication and welding, I've been trial fitting both wings but I'm having trouble with how they fit against the side of the tub. Basically, both fit against the tub where they join to the running boards, but then a gap gradually opens up as they go forward towards the front edge of the tub. I noticed that 'TC's Forever' page 213 states of the front wings

"The lower skirt does not quite line up with the lower bit of the body showing, although it looks like it should"

I wonder if this is what I'm seeing and I would be grateful if someone could post a picture of theirs.

A related issue might be my understanding (or lack of) of how the wing twists as it meets the running board. Should the join between the two be in a horizontal plan, or have a slight twist, with the outer edge being higher than the inner? As the running boards have a slight twist in them then doing so would mean that the rear edge of the board is horizontal.

Steve

Ray White

Re: Front Wing Fitting to Body - TC

Post by Ray White » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:04 pm

Hi Steve. You are more than welcome to come over to my place and see how my front wings offer up; we seem to be at a similar stage in the process.

I think what Sherrell is referring to is under the wing. What you seem to be having trouble with will be visible from above. With the wing sat on the chassis (allowing for a thickness of padding) I think it should be hard up against the side of the body - with no gap... and sit horizontally where it joins the front of the running board. (Don't forget to allow for a short peace of wing piping here). There is a slight twist in the running board that is most obvious at its narrowest point where it almost - but not quite - reaches the rear wing. I expect to have trouble with fitting my running boards!!

I have also been struggling with my rear wings as they were so beaten up. My neighbour offered me a pair of TC wings which - while not as knocked about as mine - are rusty. I decided to stick with my dented ones and have almost reached the stage that they can be painted. Having said that, I keep finding flaws that would show up... so progress is slow.

If you are doing your own painting may I suggest you get a hygrometer. The humidity needs to be under 50% to avoid micro blistering and these handy little instruments are cheaply available on Ebay; mine was just £5.

SteveW

Re: Front Wing Fitting to Body - TC

Post by SteveW » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:17 am

Thanks Ray, I might well pop across one day.

I was doing more trial fitting yesterday and I think that my front wings have a bit to much twist in them. When I apply a bit of manual force to them I can get a decent fit but they will need some work to get the correct twist to hold as it's not right that the final fixings hold that much tension. Also, I've concluded that it's best to do the trial fitting with the wing stays bolted up as they prevent the front outer edge from drooping, which also creates an unwanted twist- all I have to do now is to remember where I put them when I took the car apart several years ago!