towing a small caravan

Discussion of TABC-related matters
jddevel

towing a small caravan

Post by jddevel » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:16 am

Has anyone tried or experience towing a caravan with a "T" series? I`ve a 1500TF that I`m exploring the possibilities. Research appears to show that a caravan of gross weight a little over 700 KG should be possible. There are a number of models that could suit our purpose.

Ray White

Re: towing a small caravan

Post by Ray White » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:54 am

Is this the kind of thing you are considering?

https://www.caravanhelper.co.uk/lightwe ... der-750kg/

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:00 am

Hi Ray, Yes that`s the type. Or maybe even a "teardrop" design which are even lighter. If as I intend with more "freedom" regarding Covid 2 to 3 week tours can soon eat into funds relying on B&Bs etc. I realize with potentially hilly roads one with independent brakes would be advised plus possibly a upgrade to at least front wheel discs. It certainly would allow us to seek sunnier climes during those wet cold winter months and enjoy the car etc,

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:32 am

I don't think you need to fit discs because the TF brakes should be sufficient to lock the wheels...but you might consider fitting a 1.9: 1 servo just to make it less of an effort. If such a modification appeals I would avoid the super cheapo Chinese copies and get a genuine Lockheed unit.
They are a lot dearer but should be more reliable,

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:57 am

Cheers Ray. Will look into that. Must confess brakes no problem at the moment. Just concerned about potential fade problems in more "mountainous" areas

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:25 am

I know they are expensive but I have replaced my original TC drums with Alfin types. They claim to reduce fade by dissipating heat...but I have yet to find out for myself.

We have some big hills here in Derbyshire !!!

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:02 am

I've never done it but I know people who have. So it's certainly possible. I think I'd feel better with trailer brakes, either electric or surge brakes maybe.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:33 am

As a matter of interest, in the U.K., trailers and caravans under 750Kg are not legally required to have brakes. Unbraked caravans and trailers are usually attached to the towing vehicle with a rigid hitch so the cars brakes have to compensate for the added weight.

I would think a greater risk would be the light weight nature of the MG which could be easily flipped over should the caravan become unstable; should it suffer a tyre puncture/ blow out, for example.

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:23 am

Mmm! Blow out. "Always looking on the bright side of life" hadn`t stopped to consider that although my wife has emphasized the effect of heavy lorries on fast roads. More to think about.

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:22 am

jddevel wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:23 am
Mmm! Blow out. "Always looking on the bright side of life" hadn`t stopped to consider that although my wife has emphasized the effect of heavy lorries on fast roads. More to think about.
Don't let the negatives outweigh the positives. If we dwell on all the bad things that could happen we probably wouldn't do anything. :)

Bob Schapel

Post by Bob Schapel » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:46 pm

In 1983 I towed my TC race car behind my TC road car from Adelaide to the Geelong MG National Meeting. I built a light un-sprung car trailer for the purpose. The all-up AXLE weight was just below 750 kg. That trip is about 440 miles each way. I did it because I wanted to compete in both cars in the sprint competitions. It all worked out well, but I don't think I would do it again. I kept a long way behind other traffic because I was concerned that braking distance was my biggest problem. I think it was legal at the time, but I don't know if it would still be so now. The better brakes on TD/TF would be better for the purpose, but the wind resistance of a caravan might be worse? Trailer brakes would also be an advantage.
Bob Schapel