TC bonnet needed

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Tom Lange, MGT Repair

TC bonnet needed

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:45 pm

I sold a '47 TC a while ago without a bonnet, thinking I had one. I don't seem to, and feel I must find one to provide - it's my responsibility. All help appreciated.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair
207-288-09798

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: TC bonnet needed

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:20 pm

There's a guy in the northeast US who has been parting out TCs for years. He lists stuff on eBay all the time. Maybe a good place to start?
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

EdCallo

Post by EdCallo » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:39 am

I have the sides panels off my race TC which are not used on the race car and top sections from another car. I have never put then side by side to see if they match (reportedly not all the bonnets left the factory the same length). If you are interested I will get them in one place and check.

You would have to put them together. Think I have a chrome strip for the middle somewhere also.

Ed Callo
parts located around Connecticut

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:29 am

Ed - thank you SO for your reply; yes, I am interested. I feel I owe the buyer of my unrestored TC a bonnet. As for fit, I think the bonnet is the one part that was custom fit to each car.

It may be apocryphal, but I remember hearing there was a man near the end of some assembly-line (T-series? Morgan?) with a big pair of tin-snips, to do final trimming-adjustments to the bonnets.

Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, Maine
tlange@acadia.net

EdCallo

Post by EdCallo » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:49 am

Ok, I will gather the parts up this weekend and send you a photo of what I have. Will get the measurements also.

The custom fitting is what I have heard also.

Ed

antijam

Post by antijam » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:04 pm

Tom Lange, MGT Repair wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:29 am

It may be apocryphal, but I remember hearing there was a man near the end of some assembly-line (T-series? Morgan?) with a big pair of tin-snips, to do final trimming-adjustments to the bonnets.

Tom Lange
Apocryphal or not, this tale has passed into MG folklore. Just out of interest I rebuilt my TC with a complete new fully panelled Hutson tub but with the original bonnet. With some judicious packing of the tub to the chassis I was able to get the bonnet to fit perfectly without trimming. Luck maybe?