Rear wing piping

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Ray White

Rear wing piping

Post by Ray White » Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:13 am

Hello all. I am about to fit the rear wing piping. I presume this is nailed on? What is the best way of doing it please? (size and spacing of nails etc.).

Any advice so I get it right would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ray.

stephen stierman

Re: Rear wing piping

Post by stephen stierman » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:57 am

Ray, there is a lot to be said for being a purist, but I might suggest using double sided tape to position the piping rather than trying to put nails through the gaps between timber and sheet metal. Also easier to reposition should you need to. :)

antijam

Post by antijam » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:15 am

Not sure if it was originally nailed on or not but I attached my rear wings with the woodscrews in the correct spacing and checked that any gaps with the tub that needed to be filled were smaller than the piping. I then eased off all the screws and slid the piping into the gap, notching the web where necessary to clear the screws. The screws were then retightened trapping the piping and so far it hasn't moved since. This method also means if it's ever necessary to replace it you don't have to remove the wing to do it.
If you tack it in place before fitting the wing you don't have any room for manoeuvre and a bit of adjustment is usually necessary to achieve best fit.

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:44 am

Thank you guys!!

I am so glad I asked what seemed a bit like a dumb question!

NO, I am not a purist. If anything, I would probably be called a pragmatist. I like to consider all the different options and weigh up the advantages and disadvantages before making a decision.

I am also nervous about weilding a hammer anywhere near my newly painted body tub!!

On balance, although I like the double sided tape idea, I think I will go with anti jam's suggestion and "trap" the piping in a sort of semi permanent way with notches in the web to clear the screws.

Thanks again for the good ideas.

Ray.

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:45 am

Originally? My guess would be something along the lines of what (in the USA) we would call a furniture tack. They come in all sorts of sizes.
513+Ht+m9IL._AC_SX522_.jpg