Thinking of adding this to my stable

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Ray White

Re: Thinking of adding this to my stable

Post by Ray White » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:53 am

Well done Aaron. You are a lucky guy, that's for sure. What a delightful little car it is. You will be able to enjoy it and improve as required. Please keep us up to date with your experiences.

Ray.

bergxu

Post by bergxu » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:39 am

Ray White wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:53 am
Well done Aaron. You are a lucky guy, that's for sure. What a delightful little car it is. You will be able to enjoy it and improve as required. Please keep us up to date with your experiences.

Ray.
Thanks Ray. I was a bit sad to see my TC go as I had it sorted out really nicely (mechanically, at least) and this TA will need some mechanical work to get her properly driving but when I compared what I needed to do to my TC’s body tub versus what the TA needs, I felt the TA was the better option aside from also scratching the prewar itch ;)

I’ve just taken delivery of five new Excelsior 450-19 tires for the car, along with new rim bands and tubes, so that’ll be first thing. Then have to figure out why the rear axle has so much fore/aft movement. It’s a bit unnerving to say the least, when you apply or remove throttle, the back end of the car wanders quite badly. So as soon as I have my lift freed up, that’ll be dealt with.

Oh yeah, and new hood and exhaust!

Cheers,
Aaron

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:07 pm

I noticed that the rear springs have been replaced. I bought new springs for my TC and took them apart. I chamfered the ends to remove the sharp square finish and relieved the extremities to prevent "digging in" . I lubricated my springs with John Deer corn head grease although I believe there are liners that supposedly do a better job.

Your description of the rear axle movement is quite alarming. I suppose the tower bolts could just need tightening or perhaps the silent block buses in the spring eyes are poor. Whatever the cause I am sure you will find it soon enough.

Best of luck.

bergxu

Post by bergxu » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:02 am

Ray,

Yes on the springs and it looks as if one or two of the bolts on the plate from the axle to spring are missing and others have lost their nut so I suspect that’s where my problem lies. Will report back as I dig in a bit deeper.

Cheers,
Aaron

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:04 am

Congrats! Missing bolts on the rear axle are a real concern. There's a lot of stress on those towers. I would inspect them carefully for any stress cracks and address if necessary.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

bergxu

Post by bergxu » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:12 am

Thanks Steve, I shall report back with my findings. Be a couple weeks as I’ve got another car on my lift at the moment. Soon as that one’s done, the TA goes up in the air.