Car show buying

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Mark McCombs

Car show buying

Post by Mark McCombs » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:16 am

If one attends a large show like Hershey or Beaulieu, how do you actually pay for the car these days?

I seem to recall when my Dad bought his TC at Hershey in 1992, he had a letter of credit from his bank and wrote a check....but that was so long ago, maybe there are more modern methods. I remember there are a few Notaries that had tents and that likely hasnt changed. After my Dad bought the MG he sheepishly said he didn't have a means to get it back to Ohio, but the seller offered to drop it off on his way back out of town, which was incredibly fortunate!

Mark TC8126EXU

bergxu

Re: Car show buying

Post by bergxu » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:36 am

Mark,

I’ve only ever bought one car at a show and that was my ‘73 Stag. It was at the Brit car show at Ursuline College in Cleveland and I live in Cincinnati but I tracked the owner down and had a good look and drive that day, had a check with me folded up in my wallet (always good policy!) and gave him a deposit. Went back up the following weekend with the balance and wrapped the deal up. That’s probably about the best way to do it at a show these days (as long as you trust the seller enough with your deposit!).

Aaron

Mark McCombs

Re: Car show buying

Post by Mark McCombs » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:09 am

Thanks Aaron

I don't know if any of the phone app payment methods are being used, but probably not. Old car guys are mostly old school.