MGTC Radiator Shell Repair (UK)

Discussion of TABC-related matters
SteveW

MGTC Radiator Shell Repair (UK)

Post by SteveW » Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:33 am

I've not been active on here for a while as I've been leading a project to build a planetarium from a 1886 Victorian underground reservoir and this has taken up all of my time (off topic, but if anyone would like to see some images of our plans, let me know). Now that we have a contractor on site and construction has started, I have some time back.

I need to get my TC radiator shell repaired and rechromed. For some reason, the previous owners did a very bad repair and then went to the expense of having it very nicely rechromed even though it was obviously the wrong shape. I need to have it repaired to make progress with final fitting before I move to painting.

Does anyone know of someone who can do the repair in the UK (say anywhere north of Birmingham)? The repair is the most important first step, so not that bothered if they cannot chrome it as I can go elsewhere for that, I just need the good quality repair work.

I'm aware of Derby Plating (in Derby) and Marque Restore (in Coventry), but is there anyone else that I can go to for a price?

antijam

Re: MGTC Radiator Shell Repair (UK)

Post by antijam » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:54 am

My first choice for this type of work would always be S&T plating just north of Bristol. They have done several plating jobs for me over the years including repair and re-chroming of my TC radiator shell and the headlamp bowls.....
P1370234.JPG
Their work is invariably excellent and fairly priced. They currently have the front end chromework from my Corvette for repair and plating...
P1390003.JPG
...some of which is pot metal (Mazak) which many platers won't touch. I have no doubt the work will be up to their usual high standards.
I've also used Derby plating in the past and their re-chroming is always excellent although I've found them less competent at repair than S&T.
The downside of S&T for you is that they're south of Birmingham.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:42 am

I haven't used them personally since I'm on the other side of the pond, but the pre-war guys seem to be very happy with All Metal Polishing. He's a pre-war MG guy himself so he understands the cars.
https://www.facebook.com/p/All-Metal-Po ... 482833883/
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

i.thomson

Post by i.thomson » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:57 am

I can vouch for AMP in Hull also. The windscreen repair and rechrome Piet did for me was excellent.
Ian