Parts needed for TC 7801

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Mark Strang

Parts needed for TC 7801

Post by Mark Strang » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:37 am

I'm tying to close in on the completion of TC 7801 and need some parts. I got the car in pieces "as is" and as I go along I find that some items were not with the car. I'm almost finished with the paining and the tub is on the chassis so I'm now into the assembly process. I'm looking for at this time, the reflectors for the headlights. My buckets will need to be chromed but I have no reflectors. If anyone has some to spare for a reasonable price I'd like to talk to them. I'm also in need of a gas tank filler cap and the trigger that operates it. More items will probably surface as I go along but these are the immediate items that I need.
Also, I have a good friend with a TC who I go driving with on a regular basis. We take a 1,000 mile trip each fall though the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia. He drives his TC and I drive my TD. His tach gave up the ghost on our last trip. He apparently needs some new gears in the device. Anyone have parts or a source for these parts?

Thanks,

Mark

Ian R

Re: Parts needed for TC 7801

Post by Ian R » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:39 am

I got a new TA fuel filler cap assembly from From The Frame Up.
They have most parts for TA & TC cars.

https://fromtheframeup.com/products/cr1 ... b93b&_ss=r

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:44 am

During the rebuild of my TC needing new reflectors I discovered and purchased two LUCAS TYPE 8" BEAM UNIT CURVED GLASS FITS BSA TRIUMPH NORTON AJS - UK SUPPLIED reflectors from https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/fairdeals201 ... 3561.l2563 . They cost me £24.99 each at the beginning of 2022 They fitted the bowls perfectly. I obtained via UK Ebay some rubber tubing 3mm which I used to seal the sealed beam unit into the bowl. They also have an opening in the unit to accommodate a parking or driving light. You also have to purchase a holder to accommodate in my case LED bulbs. They were just over £9 each. I mentioned this to others who have also made the conversion including a TA which is easily returned to original if required. I also have the original reflectors which need re-silvering but I fear that the cost to ship to the US may be prohibitive.

Mark Strang

Post by Mark Strang » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:51 am

Now that is certainly an option. I'll have to consider that as a possibility. Thanks, Mark.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:04 am

I may have some reflectors that would need re-silvering. If it would help I can search around for them.

For the tach, I suggest calling West Valley Instruments in Reseda, California. They rebuild chronometric instruments and may be able to supply what your friend needs.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:59 am

Reference my previous suggestion regarding using motorcycle units attached are a couple of pictures indicating the results. My decision was taken both as the high cost of re-silvering and its availability anyway. As stated the replacement has the advantage of a driving light and fits neatly inside the original bowl.
Attachments
both.jpg
single.jpg

Mark Strang

Post by Mark Strang » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:37 am

Steve,

Please look for the reflectors. I don't know the cost of re-silverimg but at least it gives me some options. Thanks,

Mark

Rob Reilly

Post by Rob Reilly » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:49 pm

Mine also was missing the reflectors when it came to me, and I bought new reflectors from From the Frame Up. They gave up on silvering and now do only chrome, which they say works out much better.
I have also used ordinary silver polish on 12" Lucas P100 reflectors and it brought them back to like new.
1937 TA 1271

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:42 pm

Unfortunately while chrome is easier and perhaps even cheaper, it has a greatly reduced reflectivity compared to silver or aluminum. I can't say how that translates to the quantity of light emitted since I've never used chrome reflectors, but maybe it isn't as bad as it seems.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:29 am

I had mine chrome plated, the cost of silvering was quite high, and it really doesn't last all that well. I ran them with the standard bulbs, and they were adequate, now I can't compare performance to what a silvered reflector was because my car came with sealed beams. The reality is that my nighttime driving is rather limited to familiar territory around the area where I live and my 70 something year old eyes aren't even that good with modern lighting. Given TC lighting, visibility and safety, I prefer to drive my Miata after dark if I need to. Auto lamps/bulbs are not silvered in this day and age anyway.

I have a pair of repro early Ford reflectors that I cut down to use in with my 8" rims, they do take the standard bulbs and I had them in my lamps till I found some originals. If anybody wants them, you can have them for the cost of shipping, they do not have a hole for a turn signal bulb so look original. You have to orient the bulb properly for focus much like the originals.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:04 pm

I found a pair of reflectors with sockets and clamps included, plus one bulb. They need to be cleaned and polished, and would of course be better with fresh silver or aluminum applied. I'm not sure what they're worth but If interested, shoot me an email.

Rob, I also found a couple dipping reflectors in case you want to go that route.
Attachments
TC Headlamp Reflectors
TC Headlamp Reflectors
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609