What's it like to live with a MGTC?

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Dean Seavers

What's it like to live with a MGTC?

Post by Dean Seavers » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:55 pm

Howdy- I hope you don't mind a newbie question here.

I've been into British cars since I was in my early 20s in the late 80s, but all my cars have been from the early 60's - a MGB, Midget, Sprite, Spitfire, Herald and TR4.

After the last midget was totaled in an accident in 2006, I had a hiatus for a few years I was able to get a family friend's 1963 TR4 a couple years ago and put it back on the road. I really enjoy it. However, after I square a few things away over the next 2-3 years I'd like to pick up an additional British sports car that isn't from the 1960s just for a different experience.

I am in general a fan of things form the 1930s and 40s, and I absolutely adore the MGTC, but I was wondering what they are like to live with on the road? I live in the suburban part of Sacramento, California and I'm not too awful far from two lane open roads, though anymore folks also drive like maniacs on those as well. I obviously am not looking at the TC as anything but a leisure vehicle, but I'd also like to not just use it to drive surface streets to go get ice cream on a summer evening. A few years ago I rescued a 1951 Crosley wagon and got it back on the road. It was cute as a bug and offered rudimentary motoring that was charming, but it was pretty much confined to surface streets for the occasional weekend breakfast or ice cream run. That got old after awhile, so I moved it on to a new owner.

How do you find living with your TC in modern traffic and touring? Is it relaxing, or does the lack of performance and having to deal with impatient modern drivers make it too frenzied of an experience to really be able to frequently enjoy? I understand there are 5 speed conversions and supercharging, and I'm not opposed to those (other than perhaps the additional cost) but I also don't want to fundamentally change the character of the car to try to make it something it is not.

Thanks for your time.
Dean

Tom Wilson

Re: What's it like to live with a MGTC?

Post by Tom Wilson » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:39 pm

Hello Dean, from Indiana!
I've been pretty much a lifelong TC enthusiast; currently in my care are 3 TCs (and other MGs). I restore them to high originality detail and superb quality, then like to drive them to develop a really nice patina. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about TCs and how they should drive. That being said, here's my 25 cents worth:

Assuming you are comfortable with earlier generation auto technology, how you feel and how your TC will drive is to a great extent impacted by the mechanical correctness and quality of the car. A worn TC, worn-in TC, or improperly restored one is difficult to drive and uncomfortable in today's traffic. A properly sorted out one is a delight, albeit slower than modern cars.

Braking isn't as amazing as modern cars, but properly set up is adequate for the weight of the car. Acceleration is okay. A standard TC can cruise at 55-60 easily; set up with more bullet proof engine parts you can drive hours on end at 70. It's not near as much fun as 50-55, but I have no problems keeping up with traffic on the interstates.

As I don't drive in California I can't compare it to the Midwest. When travelling I feel "safer" on an interstate than a 2 lane state highway. Sounds odd, but interstate lanes are wider, there aren't regular intersections, and everyone is going the same way. That eliminates a lot of safety variables. I've learned to steer clear of major traffic environments (ie Chicago area interstates).

But - I really prefer and enjoy the state highways and am happy to accept the "higher risk" factor. Plus it makes the driving the adventure, instead of dead-heading to a destination.

So to make a short story endless - a good TC is fine on today's roads - as long as it's correctly set up. You'll feel every bump, enjoy the wind, engine, and tire noise, and feel a long trip in your bones.

The TC Motoring Guild in Southern California is a great resource for you.

Tom Wilson
Zionsville IN
TC0273, TC0279, TC2040
plus a group of prewar MGs.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:25 pm

I haven't been without an old British car since I got my MGB in high school, which I still have along with many others. I have ten of them now - M.G., Austin Healey and Morris ranging from 1937 through 1969. Of all the cars I own, the TC is my favorite and would be the last to go.

That doesn't mean they're for everyone. You need a sense of adventure, and an appreciation for raw, in your face motoring. They are minimalist sports cars, not touring saloons, although they handle long distance touring surprisingly well. Parts are readily available and for the most part not too expensive. The mechanical systems are very reliable if set up correctly. The engine is free revving and durable, and the gearbox is second to none. There are few real weak points in the design other than rear axle shafts which are known to break, but stronger modern replacements solve that issue. The steering box can be finicky to set up correctly and is under-designed for the car, but works well providing it's done right. The steering ratio is very high for sporty performance, but makes low speed maneuvering a bit on the heavy side for such a light car. Some people install the readily available aftermarket steering boxes with lower ratios for this reason. There are other areas to address for cars that will be driven hard but nothing too serious.

The interior is well appointed and surprisingly comfortable, once you manage to squeeze in. Leg room for the passenger is superb, but for the long-legged driver it can be a bit cramped. The pedals come through the floor, so there's nowhere for your leg to stretch out on long drives. The seats are more comfortable than some modern cars I've been in.

There are people who refuse to take the cars on the open highway for fear of being run over, but I'm not one of them. My wife and I have taken several multi-thousand mile tours in the car, plus weekend tours of around 4-500 miles once or twice per year. I never have any issues whatsoever with impatient drivers. On the contrary, everyone honks, waves and takes photos.

There's no reason a TC can't keep up with modern city traffic. The only place it suffers is in the mountains, where the lack of raw power will make climbing steep grades a challenge. The engines are quite tunable, and respond well to the usual tweaks like higher compression, head work, warmer cams, etc. Supercharging isn't cheap but can allow you to climb a mountain a full gear higher than a stock engine can. Several gear ratios are available to suit your intended use, from the very low stock gearing (5.125) to high ratio touring gears (4.3). Most people run a 4.875 as a good compromise between acceleration climbing power and highway RPMs.

TCs are not known to run hot or overheat, nor are they known to be unreliable in any way, once sorted properly. By far, the most unreliable TCs I've come across are the ones that aren't driven regularly.

Tom mentioned TC Motoring Guild, of which I am also a member. We have members from all over the country, including a couple members up your way who I'm sure would be happy to show you their cars. We also have an online (Zoom) in a couple weeks that you are welcome to attend as a guest if you like. Just shoot me an email if interested.

You're sure to get as many opinions and viewpoints as there are TC owners, but that's my view anyway. Hope this helps!
Attachments
IMG_7390b.jpg
IMG_7390b.jpg (88.02 KiB) Viewed 806 times
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Franz Tenbrock

Post by Franz Tenbrock » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:19 am

Steve
I envy you such roads and landscapes,
it's beautiful here too. but I miss exactly the roads in your picture here
Best Regards
Franz

3D Print: CJR3 case for Lucas340, individual Titan-X spark plug holder, resin printed octagon hazzard light switch and some more,

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:48 am

A Morris Minor pumpkin (4.55 vs. 5.125) in a TC , a front suspension and steering system correctly overhauled and adjusted, up-graded fear axle seals, and TLS brake mods will go a long way to making every sort of driving more enjoyable and relaxed in a TC, while still retaining all the TC's characteristics and quirks.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

Norman Tuck

Post by Norman Tuck » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:41 am

I agree with all above. I am pleased with my VW steering and Alfin style brake drums. I consider a higher diff ratio essential for the freeway. I have a Morris 4.55.

Our club, The Abingdon Rough Riders (http://www.abingdonroughriders.org/) is closer to Sacramento than The Motoring Guild. I'm sure that many of our members would be pleased to spend time with you and would let you drive their properly set-up TC. Check out our newsletter. You may want to join us on our annual meeting (Jan. 21) or other event. There is usually a well known TC or two available for purchase.

I believe that after 10 minutes behind the wheel of a good TC you will know whether one is right for you.

Good luck, Norman

Dean Seavers

Post by Dean Seavers » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:39 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences with me! This is exactly the info and feedback I'm looking for. I love to do my own wrenching. I also have Brit bike disease and my forever bike is a 1953 Triumph Thunderbird, so I have a drawer full of Whitworth spanners and sockets, and am versed in the care and feeding of arcane machinery.

I will absolutely hang on to the TR4, but I wanted to consider a car that hearkened back to the generation before that in terms of construction and style of motoring. If a TC wasn't going to be usable, I was thinking Morgan, but even though it has a passingly similar construction it still has the Triumph lump in it, so I was thinking that it's not different enough.

I have some obligations that are going to take the next 2-3 years of my discretionary income, but hopefully after that I will set my sights on finding a TC that has been well cared for that I can become the caretaker of.

All the best,
Dean

robertscottcostello

Post by robertscottcostello » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:07 pm

I labored over the decision whether to purchase a TD or a TC. To a fault, almost everyone said go with the TD, saying it was a more modern drive, and their concerns were very valid. In the end, I just had to go with the TC, as it I find it to be a work of art, and had lusted after it since my high school days. My advice is this: go and give one a test drive. Quit the online research and put your bottom end into the seat of one. If you still have doubts, buy it anyway. Even if you end up parting with it, you will have an experience of a lifetime, and you will never look back with regret.
1949 TC7556
https://vintagemgchicago.com/
verbum sapientes constat pecunia

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:17 am

Well spoken Robert and you made the correct decision.
I owned my TC for 20 years, restored it from the ground up, and drove it almost twenty thousand miles. It was bog standard for the most part, no five speed, no higher geared rear end, no VW steering box, standard brakes etc. etc. and set up properly it was just fine around town and on country roads. I didn't build it to be a freeway cruiser and at 55 or 60 mph or maybe a bit more it was just fine. I felt myself quite lucky to have experienced the joys of this car in my lifetime like no other I have ever owned.

robertscottcostello

Post by robertscottcostello » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:26 am

I would also suggest joining a local MG club. Contact them and ask if any club member has a TC.
https://svmgcc.org/svmgcc/index.html
1949 TC7556
https://vintagemgchicago.com/
verbum sapientes constat pecunia