Overhead Cam Midgets Versus T-Types

Discussion of TABC-related matters
rstarkweather

Overhead Cam Midgets Versus T-Types

Post by rstarkweather » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:55 am

This is a bit of a continuation of the thread on “living with a TC”.

I owned a 1937 TA back in high school in the early 70s (in England), and a 1949 TC back in 2001-2003 here in North Carolina. Also owned a 1932 and a 1933 Austin 7 when I had the TA. Currently have a 1963 MGB race car that I have been racing the last couple of years. I am now planning to buy another MG road car.

For those of you who may own an overhead cam Midget or who may have driven one, as well as a T-type, can you provide your perspectives about parts availability, maintainability, driving experience, etc. for each?

One important consideration is “fit”. I am 6’2” – would I fit comfortably in something like a PA?

My TA had a VA engine in it when I bought it (the car is now with another owner here in the US and is fully restored, but still has this motor), and I remember fondly taking the train/bus to Toulmin Motors to buy any needed parts. When I had my TC more recently, it had a Shorrock supercharger, so driving performance was quite lively. And the few bits and pieces I needed I was able to find online (eBay), or from other local MG club members. From the Frame Up and Moss Motors are now obvious sources.

Anyway, I am getting serious about buying a car soon and I am trying to reclimb the learning curve. Your collective wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

cdrolshagen

Re: Overhead Cam Midgets Versus T-Types

Post by cdrolshagen » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:12 am

Hi,
I have two MMM and two TC,
MMM spares today no problem.
I recommned you following link,

US MMM friends can answer all your questions

http://www.nammmr.org/index.html

cheers Carl

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:56 am

The PA is a slow car compared to a TC. I think the overall experience is similar, just smaller and slower. Obviously there are other differences like gearbox syncros (or lack thereof) but the idea is similar. I think the TC is easier to live with, but both are fine cars.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:55 pm

I have always felt that the TC is the most mechanically-sophisticated and advanced pre-war MG cars, and is closer to a TD that a PA. The driving experience, mechanical sophistication, reliability, parts supply and general comfort of any other pre-war MG are all going to be less than a TC.

I liken a true pre-war MG to a valuable but fragile Swiss watch - you need to wind it carefully, it's fragile so you can't wear it day-to-day ignoring its sensitivities or glass crystal, and you have to expect that its general reliability will be less than a watch from the 50's or newer. It has its place and an occasional outing is fine, but expect it to need more care and greater attention.

Many years ago I bought a D-type from an ad in the Sunday New York Times, and after doing a good deal of work to it, I tried driving it. I found that I had to be prepared that that it would break down every third drive, and schedule accordingly. If I HAD to be somewhere at a specific time, I drove a TC or TD, and was never left in the lurch. If I wanted an adventure, I drove the D-type.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair